Playing technique not hidden in slash region

When I create a slash region of bars containing a playing technique (percussion), it is not hidden:

Seems like a bug to me…?

Wrong photo? Cool tho.

:smiley: Too many screenshots on my desktop, sorry for the mess. I’ve uploaded the correct one now. Anyway - thanks for your nice comment on the “wrong” picture! :wink:

This isn’t a bug, as slash regions only hide things that are actually music on the staff, e.g. notes, articulations, accidentals, etc. But I can see that you might want these to be hidden too. At the same time, you probably would not want dynamics to be hidden, so it’s not a clear-cut situation.

1 Like

I understand the argumentation about the playing technique. I only can argue that this type of playing technique is perhaps closer to an articulation because it applies to one single note only. Playing the hi-hat open on two consecutive eighths would require to write the o on both notes - which makes it a big difference to e.g. dynamics, mutes or bow ups/downs. So I keep hiding these o’s manually, because I want my drum parts to play back as accurately as possible.

I’ve been in this situation today. Thanks to the jump bar selecting and filtering those articulations is quite fast. Still it feels like unnecessary work you have to do in both the full score and the drum part and it’s easy to accidentally miss some.

Which note attached playing technique would one want to be shown in slash regions? I personally can’t think of any but might be wrong here.

This feels so strange for me. To me it is clear that an open hi hat should be hidden by a slash region. Now it is not possible to have proper playback and a slash region. That besides the extra work of removing the open hi hat.

Maybe there is an solution already that I missed but otherwise I would ask to reconsider this behavior.

This is a workaround which will enable proper playback while keeping the slash region. It is not a fix for the cause of the behaviour.

Select the open and closed hi-hat markings (o and +) in the slash region and set their colour to White in the Properties panel.
If the slash region is quite long, it will be easier to select many bars in Galley View.
If using the marquee selection (click and drag across the markings) selects the slash region as well as the markings, use Edit > Filter > Playing Techniques.

Hello,
Today I updated Dorico to 4.3.11 and it looks like hiding techniques over slash regions works by default. This is cool! I don’t know if its intentional but I need to have the opposite. In my case I need to have a slash region, hidden voice under (for playback), and playing technique (I know that I can just add text but sometimes I also use lines). Is it still possible? I’ve always used it. Now technique is hidden. I looked into Engraving and Notation also read Version History but found nothing. Could someone help me with that? I’d be grateful.

Peace!

You can still show playing techniques in slash regions if the slash region has the Show other voices property set.

1 Like

Thank you for your response. I suppose I can’t have hidden voice and visible technique on slashes then?

No, I’m afraid not!

1 Like

Thanks for your help :slight_smile:

wait a second…

Can we really not have a playing technique over a slash region? Did this change? I’ve had a playing technique called “fill” for rhythm section fills for years, and it’s always shown over a slash region.

I don’t want to have to “show other voices” in order for this to show.

One can have “Show Other Voices” without having anything in those voices that will show.

The issue is a slash region now hides playing techniques. It didn’t do this before.

showOtherVoices

This seems to work. Show Other Voices is in the Properties Panel for the slash region.

I’ve encountered today the same problem. I can’t show breaks and fills over a slash region, if I write the music underneath that region for playback purposes.
What about a setting on the Playing technique definition like “Always show in slash regions”? That would allow things like “fill” or “break” to show up, but hide “open” and “close” techniques and the like.

Cool! Is this possible or it’s your idea?

I just write all the drums/r.section instructions with „Shift+X”. Much easier for me.
Peace!

1 Like

I don’t think it’s possible, it is my suggestion. In previous versions of Dorico, I used to be able to put playing techniques like this in slash regions. Now it seems I can’t, and I don’t remember since when, but I came across this today.
The problem with Shift+X is that there are no lines in there, which is pretty useful for breaks and fills.