Playing Technique(s)

No, but you can use Arrow Crafter font quite successfully for this.

The problem with using text and font to recreate arrows is that measures are different widths in the full score and the parts; itā€™s doesnt auto adjust as a playing technique like a piano pedal line now does. Itā€™s quite tough to balance just the right amount of text for the arrow to indicate the change and make it look good in full score and parts. (I spent about 8 hours over the weekend on this exact problem, editing text arrows that I had created in various places over 800 measures in a chamber opera score. I pray to the Dorico Gods for arrows and brackets in the next update;)

We are planning on implementing arrows and other kinds of continuation lines for playing techniques (note: specifically for playing techniques, to indicate duration/extent/transitioning to another playing technique; we may or may not also be able to implement a more generic line/arrow tool) in our next major release, but I canā€™t give a cast-iron promise that it will be included. Until a feature is implemented and has passed our testing team, itā€™s not a done deal. Software development is hard and we are constantly juggling complex requirements and priorities, which is why we havenā€™t yet managed to return to this despite it being basically in progress when Dorico 1.0 was released. But we are definitely planning on returning to this area very soon.

That is great news. Thanks Daniel and your team !

Yes, thatā€™s definitely fantastic news! Weā€™re definitely in expert hands :smiley: Bravi, Daniel and Dorico team!

I guess this is a good place to add this suggestion.

It would be nice under the ā€œfontā€ selection for playing techniques, if there was an option to choose the percussion legend font.

I have a snare drum, and one of the playing techniques is a rim shot that is being used. Since the snare drum is one of many instruments in the kit, I show the percussion legend for the sounding instrument above the staff. Since the rim shot is being utilized with a different note head, I have to create a playing technique from the playing technique panel. Percussion legend font is not an option, so currently I have a small name (which looks great) and in a bigger font ā€œ(rim shot)ā€ being displayed.

I am sure there are some work arounds at the moment. But it would be nice to be able to choose this font option form the get go.

Robby

Screen Shot 2019-03-29 at 8.45.47 PM.png

Unfortunately itā€™s not simple to do this, Robby, because percussion legends use a paragraph style while music symbols and playing techniques etc. use a font style, which are not equivalent.

Gotcha. Thanks for looking into it.

Robby

I donā€™t understand the following.
The Dorico manual says:
To avoid playing technique clashes, input a naturale, or nat., playing technique to return the software instrument to its natural state. You can then input new playing techniques without clashes.

Why can you then choose between ā€˜has durationā€™ / ā€˜has no durationā€™ when editing playing techniques?
I thought that choosing ā€˜has durationā€™ just lets the technique sound as long as the duration of the note and then Dorico jumps automatically back to ā€˜naturalā€™, so that I donā€™t have to always re-input ā€˜naturalā€™ in the score.
But that doesnā€™t work hereā€¦

IIRC using the has duration/has no duration properties has not been (fully) implemented yet.

anyways, the sounding bit is nevertheless controlled by the Attribute and Direction setting in the PLAYBACK playing technique editor.
(E.g. natural harmonics is defined as attribute and thus valid for the note on which itā€™s applied. If you change its parameter to Direction it will (when reapplied, not merely edited) stay valid until nat. or ordā€¦ )

No, ā€˜Has durationā€™ versus ā€˜Has no durationā€™ is to do with the duration of the playing technique item in the music, rather than the playback playing technique that it gives rise to in playback land. As Frank says, whether or not a playing technique has an ongoing effect is determined by the ā€˜Attributeā€™ or ā€˜Directionā€™ value in the playback playing technique (which uses terminology we have borrowed from Cubase). If a playing technique item ā€˜Has durationā€™, that means it will be created with at least one quarter noteā€™s duration regardless of what is selected when you create it, whereas if it ā€˜Has no durationā€™, if you create it with no selection, it will be created with zero duration (though if you have e.g. a bunch of notes selected before you create it, then it will be created with that duration anyway).

In a way that sounds backwards, so Iā€™m glad you explained it.
IOW ā€œhas durationā€ means ā€œhas fixed durationā€ & ā€œhas no durationā€ means the duration must be specified.

thatā€™s very helpful ! didnā€™t know that. thanx.

Derrek, I found this in the manual - I think this makes it quite clear:

Duration:
Allows you to set whether the playing technique Has duration, and can appear across a range of notes, or Has no duration, and can only appear at one rhythmic position.
Note
This only affects the visual duration of the playing technique. You can also change the playback duration of a playing technique in the Edit Playback Playing Techniques dialog.