Pleasant discoveries

As of version 2, I now use Dorico exclusively, replacing Sibelius for me. It’s easy to worry about bugs and limitations, but in fact there are just as many occasions when I’m pleasantly surprised by something I discover in Dorico that hints at just how many light-years ahead of the competition its underlying architecture is.

One family of pleasant discoveries is where I realise that Dorico simply doesn’t care how complicated something is – it just does it right, natively. Tuplets are the obvious example: I haven’t had to do any mental arithmetic since I switched away from Sibelius. Elegant spacing of three or more voices is another big one.

The other family of pleasant discoveries is when something that really is simple, in musical terms, turns out to be blissfully simple in Dorico too. I just spent the last few minutes fretting about how to break a bar across a system, imagining I had to create bars of irregular length, hide time signatures and so forth. Nope. I can just break the bar where I want it. And to cut a 4/4 bar into two 2/4 bars, I just put a barline in the middle of the bar. Ahhhh!

Now all I have to do is figure out how to save up the mental energy saved from not having to figure out how the program thinks about something and feed that back into improved musical creativity…

This is great to hear. It can indeed be difficult to break out of old ways of thinking and to imagine that things that needed workarounds in other programs will also need workarounds in Dorico. Our goal is to reduce the need for workarounds as much as we possibly can: of course this will take time as we need to continue to build out the software’s capabilities in order to support functionality natively, but we are trying to apply the same consistent, logical approach to everything we add.