OK, I’ve had a chance to spend some time working on Rob’s suggestions, and I learned some things I’ll share here for other newbies like me who are just starting to understand voices. As is nearly always the case, some (most) of my issues stemmed from not thoroughly understanding how things work.
The context of what I’ve been working on is using voices to do “cues”, in a workaround fashion. So I would enter the “cued” notes in a new voice and change the noteheads to “Diamond” because they’re smaller.
Because I was really wallowing around in a sea of misunderstanding/lack of knowledge, when I turned on Voice Colors (View:Note and Rest Colors), I discovered that through all the experimenting I had done, I had multiple voices and colors going on. Although that’s not a practical issue (just a visual one) the fact that I was finding unwanted bar rests throughout the rest of a given staff certainly WAS a problem, and in trying to solve that, I just created more voices.
For what I was doing, I really only needed two voices: Up-stem Voice 1 and Down-stem Voice 1. Yet when I would select something and look in the Edit:Voices:Change Voice submenu, I would sometimes see as many as 4 or 5 Up-stem or Down-stem voices.
So there I was, with many different-colored voices in a simple brass quintet chart with a few cues. If you end up in a similar situation, here’s how I fixed it.
The key is Rob’s point (above) that voices you accidentally create but end up not using will disappear if you close and re-open the file (you don’t have to Quit Dorico.) I had to get all the various voices I was using down to just one each Up-stem and Down-stem voices, and close/re-open the file. I went through the chart and selected all the “primary” voices (non-cue parts) and switched them to Up-stem Voice one, and all the cue voices to Down-stem Voice 1, closed and re-opened the file.
That at least got all the colors down to two per staff, since I was only using two voices. However, they weren’t the same colors in each staff, which I found visually confusing. Through a lot of experimenting, I discovered that there is apparently an order of color creation, the first two being light blue and red. So in a couple of cases I had to go back into the affected staff, change Up-stem Voice One to New Up-stem Voice two to get a different color, do the close/re-open routine again, until the “right” color (the same light blue Up-stem Voice 1 color that was in all the other staves) came up.
Finally, to get rid of those unwanted bar rests in Up-stem Voice 1 bars that had no second voice in them other than those bar rests, I had to experiment with finding the bars that did in fact have Down-stem cues in them and using the Start or End Voice property on the first or last notes of the cue voice to get those bar rests to disappear from all the other bars.
The bottom line is that I finally got all the staves down to the same two voice colors, which makes the whole thing a LOT easier to visually figure out where I had problems.
As I re-read all that, it looks fairly complicated. I would simplify it if I could, but the fact is I found the subject to be complicated, and I’m still not positive I have a handle on it.
Hope this helps.