Please help me with this routing Sends/Prefader

Hi -

I’ve got Group 1, Routed to my 2-Bus, and also “Sent” (PRE-fader) to Group 2.

As expected, when I pull the fader down on Group 1, the level of signal going to group 2 does not change.

When I MUTE group 1, it kills the send to Group 2 as well.

I’d be interested in having MUTE behave like fader at (-) infinity, for easier A/B comparisons (toggling back and forth instead of fader dragging). I didn’t see anything in preferences to do this … is that possible at all?

Thanks much -

Go to ‘File > Preference > VST’ and un-check the “Mute Pre-Send When Mute” option.

HTH

Thank you, Jose!

I will have to look 101 times in the preferences next time … 100 times isn’t enough (those terms just seem to be mind-glazing somehow…).

But that was the perfect answer - beautiful.

Thanks again!

Can I ask another basic routing question please?

Looking at the signal flow diagram on that page, I see the faders are after inserts 1-6.

Does that mean that if I want to automate volume before routing to an inserted compressor, I need to put the compressor in Insert slots 7 or 8? (Assuming I don’t want to set up a send).

Thanks in advance!

No, you may not ask another question…j/k :stuck_out_tongue:.

Yes, Inserts 7-8 on Tracks and Busses are Post-Fader. I usually use them for limiters, dithering and special metering plugins, but you could insert anything in there. However, if I may, I would suggest drawing envelopes on the audio clips with the Pencil Tool instead of using volume automation. That way you can still change the volume of a track through volume automation without having to concern yourself about re-adjusting the compressor’s settings.

Alternatively, you could simply cut the clip at the sections where you would like to lower the gain with the use of clip gain envelopes. And, if you need to lower the overall level of the track before it hits the compressor, then there’s the trusty Input Gain knob. All of these methods are pre-inserts so you could simply put the compressor on inserts 1-6 (which is more appropriate for it in the majority of the cases) and not worry too much about re-adjusting it (though it’s always good to re-check every time you change it’s input signal. The same goes for most other plugins).

There’s a lot of ways to skin a cat, but there’s always something that works better depending on the situation.

HTH

Jose - you are quite literally a godsend on this thread, thank you!

I would suggest > drawing envelopes on the audio clips with the Pencil Tool > instead of using volume automation

… coming from SX3 I didn’t think of that right off. When I looked through the automation section of the manual I didn’t actually see where it says to draw on anything but the automation track, but I will try drawing directly on the audio event when I get home today.

Alternatively, you could simply cut the clip at the sections where you would like to lower the gain > with the use of clip gain envelopes

Just to clarify, are these the ones I can access from the info line?

Thanks again Jose! :smiley:

Also, don’t forget that the input gain can be automated if you want the added functionality of the automation lane versus drawing a curve on the event. Be a bit careful though since the input gain has a dangerously high maximum level compared to the channel fader.

Some time ago I used this method a lot, but now I nearly always use cut->crossfade->clip gain, I find it faster and giving a better graphical representation.

/A

I’m not in front of my DAW right now, but I believe you do have access to the clip’s gain through the Info Line as well (sorry, I can’t remember off hand). In any case, clip gain envelopes are accessible right from the audio clip. Just hover the cursor over the clip and you’ll see a small square show up in the middle of it. Simply drag it up or down to change the gain of the clip.

This is what I believe TwinOak says he uses as well, except I find that I don’t have to apply cross-fades as long as I have Snap to Zero Crossing enabled when I cut.

As I record nearly everything in AB-stereo it’s a necessity for me, but for all mono folks out there using snap to zero is a good time saver!

Jose, I got home today, and realized I’m not sure I know exactly what you are referring to there. I was able to draw with the pencil tool on the waveform but only in the automation track; try as I might, I couldn’t figure out how to draw on the actual audio clips themselves.

How are you getting that bit done, drawing on the actual audio clip … or am I misunderstanding? I couldn’t find that in the manual under “automation”, or indeed searching through the entire manual for the word “draw”!

Thanks!

Watch this video (go to around 2:22 into it):

This works the same way in Cubase 6.

Thanks, Jose - I’m all caught up now! :laughing: