Please help with "Custom installation"

I’m in the process of installing Cubase Pro 8 on our office PC, and the installer gives me this long list of things I can install, some of which take up a huge amount of hard drive space. So I’d like to be able to de-select some of them, as hard drive space is limited, but there is no indication of what any of this stuff is. I looked through the documentation, and checked the Cubase website, and there doesn’t seem to be any help with this. I was able to eventually figure out what some of it is, by googling the names, but for some of it I still have no idea. Like “content,” for example. What the heck is “content”? Isn’t it all content? I mean, come on, that almost seems intentionally vague!

Content is the sounds, MIDI files, etc. for example, HALion is a “Virtual Instrument” and the “content” is the sounds for the individual instruments such as guitar sounds, piano sounds, etc.
A description of what you plan to use Cubase for would help with advice.

Hi Explodey,
Cubase 8 probably wont work very well on a bulk standard office pc unless you have a dedicated ASIO soundcard and fast hard drives and lots of ram.
Maybe a frustrating experience.
Mike001

Jasian: Thank you for explaining. It’s frustrating that I had to go on a forum to get this answer. Installers usually tell you a little about each component of the custom installation. At least that’s how it usually works on Mac.

Mike: We did do a fair amount of research before buying our Windows audio workstation PC. We didn’t necessarily want the best PC – we wanted an audio workstation that would be representative of the average user in our customer base. The problem is that we had to split the HDD into four partitions – Windows 7 and 8, in 64 and 32 bit – for testing purposes. So there isn’t a lot of free space on the HDD.

You can install the entire package, (with modern harddrives, even with 4 partitions this shouldn’t be a problem)
After installation, you go to the normal software uninstaller of the OS, and you will notice that several programs from Steinberg are installed seperatly. E.g. the instruments are all seperate installs. There you can decide what you want to keep and what you don’t need.

kind regards,
R.

Well, we have a lot of other stuff to install four times, so every gigabyte counts.

Anyway, I installed it on the Windows 8 partition and it works fine. But on Windows 7 every time I try to launch the software, I get this message: “Cubase 8 has stopped working.” And if I go to “more details” I get this:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Cubase8.exe
Application Version: 8.0.0.397
Application Timestamp: 5459524a
Fault Module Name: Cubase8.exe
Fault Module Version: 8.0.0.397
Fault Module Timestamp: 5459524a
Exception Code: c000001d
Exception Offset: 000000000206f610
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: e37a
Additional Information 2: e37ab3d4d24739f49e676e35e792b2f8
Additional Information 3: 5159
Additional Information 4: 51595abd4a7d27aadb4cad99166a59de

This is a brand new computer! Why is this happening?