Plug-in delay compensation when using external sound module?

Hi folks,

Imagine this scenario:

I’ve got a midi track that’s triggering an external sound module.

The audio from the sound module comes in to an audio track (let’s call it audio track #1).

I’m now going to record, but NOT on the audio track, on the midi track.

So after the recording i hit play. The recorded midi will trigger the sound module, and that audio will come in “live” on the audio track #1.

I now put a plug-in on the audio track #1 that has a latency of 20ms.

There’s no way that Cubase can compensate this latency because the audio is coming in “live” (unless it delays all other audio by 20ms, which seems like a bad idea!).

And it can’t compensate by off-setting the recorded midi as it has no idea that that midi track is triggering the audio coming in to audio track #1!

Does Cubase have any solutions for this kind of scenario?

I’m more than happy to RTFM is someone could just point me in the right direction!

Many thanks! … J

I would think the “Track Delay” function will help this concern. It is found in the inspector section. You can adjust the 20ms there.

Regards :sunglasses:

Thanks, you’re right, i can do it manually.

But i should have mentioned i’m hoping for a way to do it automatically, so as the total amount of latency compensation in my production changes, the (positive) delay on my midi trigger track will change accordingly.

On a side note: how do i check the total amount of delay caused by a chain of insert plug-ins?

J

Sorry, I wish could assist further but I don’t think it is possible to do this automatically nor do I know how to check the total delay. Hopefully someone else will advise if they know a way.

Regards :sunglasses:

It should be possible as Cubase only needs to know:

a) the latency of the plug-in chain on the audio-in track &

b) which midi track is triggering the module…

Then it’s a simple case of bringing the midi track (in my example) 20ms forward in time!