Plugin FLS Limit Good News....

Very good news from Microsoft, the actual insider preview push the FLS limit to 4000 instead of 128 for now :wink: :wink:
So if all goes fine next Windows 10 update gonna be FLS 4000 Limit !!! :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Thatโ€™s great news, Iโ€™ve been running into problems with heavy sessions and a ton of UAD plugins. Is something we can get at now by signing up for the insider preview?

For more news : Announcing Windows 10 Insider Preview Build 18312 | Windows Insider Blog

So tempting to hop on this! Not sure itโ€™s the best plan as it is a fast ring release, who knows how C10 will run with it.

Yeah, finally :slight_smile:
I can wait for the official update, have trained myself to be careful for a whileโ€ฆ

So lucky that they are directly addressing this, I did not expect it.

FLS Slot Limit Increase

As PCs get more powerful, musicians have created increasingly complex projects with more tracks, more instruments, and deeper effects chains. As a result, some of those musicians were running up against a FLS (Fiber Local Storage) slot allocation ceiling that prevented them from loading into their DAWs (Digital Audio Workstations) as many unique plugins as theyโ€™d like. This build greatly raises that per-process FLS slot allocation ceiling, allowing loading potentially thousands of unique plugins. Beyond musicians, this change will positively impact any application that dynamically loads hundreds or thousands of unique DLLs that have statically-linked Visual C++ runtimes, or otherwise allocate FLS slots.

Sorry already postedโ€ฆ

[Mod edit: no problem - now merged]

Good heads up. Iโ€™ve been having trouble with this one for ages now, and it did actually stop me working on one particular project - I just got fed up :slight_smile:

Itโ€™s great to see that Microsoft have listened to the musicians and the DAW manufacturers, I thank them for that! Looking forward to seeing this pushed out as a standard update.

Mike.

If anyone here tests this with Cubase and your own plugins, please let me know the results directly

pete dot brown at microsoft dot com.

Pete (Microsoft)

Insider fast-lane builds are preview builds for technical users who want to see whatโ€™s coming. They usually have quite a bit of other broken stuff in them, and no application developers will support you running their apps on a preview. We do not recommend installing on any critical PC.

Pete

Iโ€™m going in I have a clone of my main drive so Iโ€™m gonna give it go, clean install, will let you know once Iโ€™ve fucked everything up and wished i hadnโ€™t but hey in the name of science someone has to go first eh

I installed windows 18334 today and I have plenty of slots!! The fls checker shows 128 slots free even I load hundred of plug-ins in my session.

Itโ€™s working great!!

Excellent! :slight_smile: Iโ€™m on 18334 and can confirm itโ€™s working well here.

For any developer who want to verify numbers on their own systems, I stuck my (simple) code on Github:

Pete

Have you noticed any other issue? Do 3rd party plugins seems to be working? And does Cubase seem to be running smoothly all around? Iโ€™m tempted to install it but just worried I might lose some functionality in some other unanticipated way.

GREAT !!! THANK YOU :slight_smile:

Itโ€™s working Great ! I have no issues with 3rd party plugins so far ! :slight_smile:

@MaxRod Great to hear. Thank you.

I took the leap to 18312 and allโ€™s working great. FLS slots stay at 128. Thank you Microsoft. Thank you Pete.

Is this applicable only to .dll files? That would be VST2 plugins. Does this apply to VST3 too? Not sure if my question makes sense.