PLUGINS too often Random and Missing

I too will echo this. With the new update I now have new plugins that are missing that previously worked fine so moving to 64bit has not changed things for me at least in the sense of better scanning of plugins. On the plus side, some previous plugins that were previously ignored are now opening fine so there is that… :slight_smile:

I can’t believe that Cubase 9.5 is like a plugin ‘archive’; it finds and makes available virtually any 64 bit plugin I’ve loaded.

I’m WAY beyond angry that WaveLab cannot perform to that level… after all this time. :frowning:

There is one easy thing you can try:

Open the text file: C:\Users[UserName]\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\WaveLab Pro 9.5\Startup.ini

and add the entry:

PlugScan=1

By default (no PlugScan, or PlugScan = 0), WaveLab runs a separate small application, to evaluate each plugin. If the plugin crashes, WaveLab does not crash. This is the security layer. Maybe this system has a compatibility problem on your system.

However, if PlugScan=1 then WaveLab tries to load the plugins directly. If the plugins are safe, no problem, and the scanning is even faster.
But if a plugin fails, WaveLab might not load (and you have to revert to PlugScan=0).

Though this is not the recommended method, you might try it.

Once a successful scan has been done, none is performed again until a plugin change is detected, and then, only this plugin is evaluated.

Are you running Bit Defender internet security by chance?

No, I’m not running that program.

(Note: All of these plugins have run before in Cubase AND WaveLab. However in WaveLab… their availability comes/goes randomly. In Cubase… they are ALWAYS there to use. Both Cubase and WaveLab share the same plugin directory).

Thanks. I’m giving this a try now. The scanning is slower than ever… maybe that’s a good thing?

The scanning is slower than ever… maybe that’s a good thing?

Hmm, not really. What amount of RAM do you have?

Note: Since I’ve added the entry you suggested (“PlugScan=1”), WaveLab begins the scan and crashes repeatedly. Upon restarting (about 20 times now), I get a report such as the following:

“Last time WaveLab Pro was launched, the following plug-in caused a crash. This plug-in will be added to the plug-in exclusion list, unless you want to try loading it again.

C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3\iZotope\Ozone 8 Imager.vst3”

It is apparently crashing on every iZotope plugin in that folder. (Ha-Ha!!) :slight_smile:
Meanwhile, those plugins work perfectly in Cubase (utilizing the SAME folder), and also in Sound Forge Pro 11 (32 bit version, VST2).

(I answer, “Ok”, and another round of ‘scanning’ begins… as I wait for WaveLab to ‘crash’.)

I don’t think the iZotope Ozone-8 plugins are THE problem… but I was considering moving that folder and/or reinstalling Ozone-8 and RX6 later on. (These WaveLab crashes and restarts are taking a lot of my time.)
Typical WaveLab CRASH Message on Multiple Restarts.JPG
Typical WaveLab Fail Message on Multiple Restarts (iZotope - vst3).JPG

I have 24 GB of RAM. The machine averages 14-19% use of that RAM while idling.

Processor is Intel i7 CPU 920 @ 2.67 GHz.

But I have a question that no one addresses:

How can Cubase 9.5 process these SAME plugins in the SAME directories so much more effectively (almost perfectly) than WaveLab’s most recent version?

(I don’t literally expect you to answer that… but I’m pretty angry with Steinberg about that, even now.)

If Cubase can get this right… WaveLab Pro (especially for its price) ought to ACE that functionality as well. I’ve literally WAITED years for Steinberg to correct this anomaly. And while I appreciate your help Philippe… it is STEINBERG that should be able/willing to TELL ME STRAIGHT, that they either do not have a solution OR have been unaware of this problem.

What is CUBASE managing to do effectively, that WAVELAB is NOT?

If you have a folder with 32 bit plugin versions, you should better exclude this folder from the WaveLab scan paths (there is a preference for this in WaveLab). A 32 bit plugin simply can’t be loaded. Maybe the Ozone 32 bit version cause a side-effect in WaveLab.

No problem there… WaveLab is not scanning any directory paths related to my 32-bit programs.

But I’ll double check that (once I get WaveLab to actually start).

Well… I’ve spent an entire afternoon trying to get this damned WaveLab 9.5 to play ‘nice’ with my plugin collection.

The best I can do (so far) is to HIDE every VST from it but a few (Fab Filter).

It seems to like all of my FabFilter VST3’s.

So, I’ll set it there and use WaveLab as a FabFilter ‘station’… until Steinberg tells me something ‘appropriate’.

I’m truly finished, in my efforts to troubleshoot this quagmire. :frowning:

P.S. This seems to be my day to learn the iZotope Ozone 8, stand-alone app. I think it can host/organize plugins fairly well overall.

I found a very similar issue discussed here, as well:

Is the person who posted this (POST #2) seeing this link? (Please, let me know.)

Did you get a solution or personally find a feasible work-around?

How long before WaveLab ‘11’ comes out??? :slight_smile:

Maybe that will fix it. :frowning:

You’ve tried re-installing or repairing Wavelab from control panel, and/or trashing the preferences?
I mean surely someone is using Ozone 8 successfully with Wavelab 9.5 on Windows 10.

Oh yes!! I have trashed preferences and uninstalled/reinstalled WaveLab.

And it isn’t that Ozone-8 doesn’t load, it is that only ‘some’ of the plugins I have loaded in the directory (SAME ONE CUBASE USES) show themselves as being available for use. I can literally see them being detected when I SCAN… but they end up being invisible or relegated to the “ignore” list.

And WaveLab sometimes even allows VSTi’s to show up in the MASTERSECTION list of available plugins.

Somehow, CUBASE can use this SAME DIRECTORY and sort things properly.

There are SO MANY PROBLEMS, I’m done explaining it here. Someone who is getting PAID to fix this, is likely the ONLY one who has the resources to sort this out completely.

But still… I wonder what is DIFFERENT about the way Cubase 9.5 handles these plugins, that allows it to be completely successful (at least since since version 7), that WaveLab is lacking.

I’m tired of this, because it is a YEARS old issue and at least 3 other programs I use DO NOT have this issue. So, it either gets fixed, or I’ll just leave WaveLab alone. :frowning:

(For the record: Cubase 9.5 sees and makes availble at least 652 VST-effects on my system. WaveLab 9.5 shows less than HALF of those.)

I only stumbled on this by chance, and I didn’t think it would make any difference, but have you tried a repair from Control Panel or Settings?

bob99, what would I be ‘repairing’?

Repairing Wavelab. In Control Panel add/remove Apps (search for Control Panel in the Windows search box). Or Settings Applications. The case I know of where it fixed what was not fixed by uninstalling and reinstalling was in Control Panel in Win 10. But that was Cubase.

I mean, surely someone is using Ozone 8 with Wavelab 9.5 on Windows 10 with all the plugins working, including the Imager VST3.

I mean, surely someone is using Ozone 8 with Wavelab 9.5 on Windows 10 with all the plugins working, including the Imager VST3.

Sure, I’ve gotten Ozone-8 to work fine in WaveLab 9.5, along with many other plugins.

The persistent problem is that the plugins will not stay put to be used in WaveLab.

I’ve noticed this problem since WaveLab 7. It has been about 2 years.

Over time, my list of plugins changes randomly. Please note: Cubase 9.5 is using the exact same plugin directories as WaveLab.

For example, I have over 30 Waves plugins. Sometimes, WaveLab will make ‘most’ or less than 1/10 of them available for actual use (despite seeing them being ‘detected’ during a full plugin scan). Even plugins that do not end up in the “ignored plug-ins” list are not available. Meanwhile, Cubase (using the same directories) will detect and make EVERY plugin I’ve loaded available for use. Nothing is different, except that WaveLab is not reliable/consistent as it pertains to that aspect.

Any consumer level work-around’s I’ve attempted, have led to random results… none of which satisfactorily resolving the issue.

I’m soon going to be working (live) with technical support, in an effort to fix this. Only a person being ‘paid’ to solve this, likely has the will to deal with it. If Steinberg tech support were not working with me directly, I’d uninstall WaveLab and take the loss for purchasing it. (I’m an artist, not a software technician.) :slight_smile: