PLUGINS too often Random and Missing

That’s great. I hope it works out.

Thanks bob99!! :slight_smile:

Over time, my list of plugins changes randomly

The list changes if the the plugin change. Maybe their date is updated by some backup application you have?

If you (or anyone) can tell me WHY CUBASE (and every other program that uses VST’s) DOES NOT BEHAVE THAT WAY, what you say will make sense to me.

I WANT STEINBERG TO FIX THIS!! I don’t want reasons as to why I need to constantly perform maintenance on my DAW to use it.

cefsah, I think you need to understand that you are one of few who have this problem. Yes, I know you found some others online and I’m not saying you’re the only one, but if a substantial number of users would have this problem they would surely let the world know. People here are trying to help and find what it is in your case that causes the issue. SHOUTING will not help in any case.

Thanks for that. I definitely apologize for being too hard or even offensive here.

I’m frustrated for reasons not explained in this forum. (And I do expect Steinberg to address this issue.)

I strive to remain civil.

And that some people (unpaid) have tried to help, isn’t anything to sneer at. So often people in fora such as this have tried hard to be helpful.

Hopefully, technical support will determine what is going on.

As I watch these comments and other threads that go unanswered I would like to comment(with no shouting I promise)to say that if there are only a few who have this problem than you can count me as one of them. PG has suggested that the ignored list changes if the plugins change. My experience says otherwise. On my last frustrating go around with this, I forced scanned all my plugins three times in quick succession. After each scan no plugins or folders were changed, nothing on my system was changed, and no backups were made. Each time after each scan, Wavelab gave me a different list of ignored plugins. Again, none of my other recording software struggles in this way and I could be wrong(it has happened once before) but that says to me that it is a Wavelab architecture issue.

If I had to boil my thoughts down on how I feel about it at the moment I would say that it has become a matter of eroding trust. There are many things that I love about Wavelab and at 10+ years it is currently my mastering DAW of choice, but from my perspective I don’t sense any urgency for fixing these issues as they have remained(I will grant in varying degrees of severity) across many versions Wavelab. I trust and hope that there is concern and urgency behind the scenes. Plugins are here to stay and will only continue to expand and grow in complexity and power and if people have to question whether their tools will be available based on the software they are using, that strikes me as a bit of a liability for Steinberg. Wavelab is already a wonderful tooI that I use daily but I would gladly trade some new features in the next version for software that is consistent, reliable, and robust.

studioarcade,

Thank you for sharing that!! What you described, is ‘exactly’ my experience… since at least WaveLab 8. I thought that Steinberg would see the certain few people dealing with this and address it.

Repeatedly, I’ve tried to gently say that I’m a fairly expert in loading plugins overall, and that it is not fair to expect even some (if even a small group of customers) to endure this kind of problem. WaveLab is not an inexpensive tool.

One of most cool and amazing things about using computers to make/process music… are all the plugins that do ‘something’ very well or differently than others. It’s like having a spice rack in your kitchen that is loaded with the flavors you imagine putting into the dish you are creating.

I have hundreds of plugins (over 650 that Cubase 9.5 finds and faithfully makes available), and I remember to use them mainly by the sounds they are particularly good at generating. I may not touch some plugins for days, months or even a couple of years… then I’ll remember that ‘x’ plugin gave me a certain ‘effect’ on a particular song or passage.

In Cubase (which I’ve used since the late 80’s), that workflow is NOT impeded. My imagination sends me for a certain VST effect or VSTi… and Cubase has it there and ready to use. There may have been the rare (incompatible) plugin over the years, but nothing like this problem in WaveLab.

I’ve probably had WaveLab scan for all of my plugins 20+ times… hoping to that it would find and make available that (sometimes expensive VST) processing tool… something that I artistically imagined would work. And while I surely can open a couple of other mastering suites as a ‘patch’ for what WaveLab is missing… I do get ‘angry’ that I paid really good money for WaveLab and I am experiencing 2+ years of this same problem.

I really do like WaveLab… but if Steinberg doesn’t fix this very soon, I will go back to and likely ‘stay’ with other tools in my DAW. I think it was somewhere in the 1990’s I abandoned WaveLab for ‘Sound Forge’. And I’m about to do that again, especially since Magix is coming out with a 64 bit version of the same.

But right now, I’m amazed that my 32 bit version of Sound Forge is my go-to mastering tool. Every plugin I want to use in it shows up and works. It’s slower and a bit more clunky than WaveLab, but it is allowing what I ‘imagine’ to be pursued… rather than disappointing and annoying me with ‘random’ software troubleshooting sessions (actually causing me to become seriously angry).

Anyway… thanks again for sharing that. It is good to know that someone else ‘actually’ sees the problem I’ve been wrestling with for years.

Steinberg/Yamaha, you guys are great!! But please… fix ‘this’ problem.

Hi everyone. I’d like to report that I’m currently using WaveLab Pro 9.5.20 x64 and I’ve got 1071 plugins in use (377 VST3; 686 VST2; 8 “other”) - including Brainworx, Eventide, iZotope, SPL, UVI, Voxengo, Waves and numerous other brands previously mentioned in this thread. I’ve literally not had any missing-plugin issues for several years in WaveLab.

The way I achieved this was by (a) organizing my plugin folders myself, and (b) ensuring that multiple versions of the same plugin don’t exist in multiple places on the same machine, which can cause a DAW to have trouble “deciding” which one to use.

For example, on a PC, some common places that VSTs get installed (and/or lost) include:
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2
C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VSTPlugins
C:\Program Files\VstPlugIns
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST2
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VSTPlugins
C:\Program Files (x86)\VSTPlugIns
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3

…not to mention a variety of other places. Also, note that some DAWs (Cubase included) will refuse to utilize a VST3 that is outside of the …/Common Files/VST3 locations (due to VST3 specification).

So what I like to do is create a single, dedicated place (a) where all 32-bit VST2s go; and (b) where all 64-bit VST2s go. Then I also place all VST3s into the standard C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3 and C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\VST3 locations.

For any plugins that are 32-bit only (no 64-bit version is available), you will need to clear those out of the default paths that WaveLab and Cubase scan. You might consider using jBridge as a way to continue using 32-bit plugins in your 64-bit hosts.

You may try devoting a few hours to doing a systemwide cleanup to see if that helps. Once you’ve done it once, you can maintain your organization fairly easily. It’s a one-time process that can prevent a lot of future issues. Not saying this is necessarily what is causing the reported issues in this thread, but just offering my thoughts.

In regards to cefshah’s earlier post:

The following are non-issues:

Waves - WaveShell2-VST 9.91_x64.dll (C:\Program Files\VstPlugins)
-WaveShell should always be ignored. It doesn’t affect use of your Waves plugins.

Voxengo - VoxengoPristineSpace.dll (C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins)
-Pristine Space is 32-bit only. You will need to jBridge this plugin or discontinue use in WaveLab. Also, it shouldn’t be in the C:\Program Files location anymore, as it would belong in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\VstPlugins.

Waves - L316 Stereo.dll (C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins)
-You’re referencing the VST2 version. Only the VST3 version is supported in Cubase and WaveLab. See this link.

Waves - L3-LL Ultra Stereo.dll (C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins)
-You’re referencing the VST2 version. Only the VST3 version is supported in Cubase and WaveLab. See this link.

iZotope - iZOzone8VintageCompressor.dll (C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins)
-This is ignored by design; it’s a required component but it’s not the usable plugin. You’re looking for “Ozone 8 Vintage Compressor.dll” (VST2) or “Ozone 8 Vintage Compressor.vst3” (VST3), which are probably either, or both, working in WaveLab.

iZotope - iZOzone8Exciter.dll (C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins)
-This is ignored by design; it’s a required component but it’s not the usable plugin. You’re looking for “Ozone 8 Exciter.dll” (VST2) or “Ozone 8 Exciter.vst3” (VST3), which are probably either, or both, working in WaveLab.

The following are the remaining potential issues:

112 dB - Redline Preamp.dll (C:\Program Files\Common Files\Steinberg\VST2\112dB)
-Did you try version 1.0.9? Also, are you sure that this is a 64-bit version in that location? It’s a bit of an unusual location; perhaps try moving it to C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST2.

Nomad Factory - Retro Film-Tone.dll (C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins\Nomad Factory)
-Did you try version 5.13, and are you certain you’ve got the 64-bit version installed at that location?

Eventide - H3000 Factory.dll (C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins)
-Have you tried version 2.9.2? Also, if you’ve got the VST3 version installed, perhaps just use it.

UVI - Rotaryx64.dll (C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins)
-Did you try downloading the latest version of Rotary?

Brainworx - bx_console G.vst3 (C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3)
-Did you try version 1.1? I know PA had issues in earlier builds with plugin instantiation.

Fiedler Audio - fiedler audio stage.vst3 (C:\Program Files\Common Files\VST3)
-Have you tried version 1.0.1?

SPL - SPL De-Verb.dll (C:\Program Files\Steinberg\VstPlugins\Plugin Alliance)
-Have you tried version 1.0.1?

Also, I note that on the Plugin Alliance products, they’ve had issues in the past with WaveLab compatibility. Usually they issue bugfixes to address these problems fairly quickly, so be sure to report your issues to them if downloading the latest version doesn’t help.

Steinberg just needs to FIX the damned program!!

WaveLab is not the only program I have that uses VST effects. And really, if Cubase can do this effectively, why can’t WaveLab?!

Thanks for all the tech points and I may even try them… but really, WaveLab is an expensive bit of software, that should run VST’s as well as any other… without all of that user file manipulation.

cefshah, did you read my post?

Please don’t take offense at my statements below, as I really am trying to help. But you are making some serious claims and exhibiting a lot of rancor and disgust — and yet it’s fairly obvious that the problem here is not WaveLab, but you (and perhaps a handful of outdated or wrong-bitness plugins).

I suspect that WaveLab is performing correctly and by-design, and that your plugin configuration is at fault.

As stated, I have 1,071 plugins used in WaveLab, and none of them ever disappear or go “missing.”

6 of the plugins you reported are not an issue at all; they are ignored by design. Cubase 9.5 will do exactly the same thing with those plugins, so your claim that Cubase uses them is in error.

For the 7 others (112dB, Eventide, Nomad Factory, Plugin Alliance, UVI) I suspect, based upon an analysis of your posts, that you may have a combination of (a) old versions that haven’t been updated for compatibility, and (b) 32-bit versions in the wrong locations. Modern 64-bit DAWs generally work better with updated plugins, and DAWs that have deprecated 32-bit plugin support (like WaveLab) requiring the use of bridging (like jBridge). By design, WaveLab ignores 32-bit plugins, and it also ignores plugins that aren’t up to specification and/or exhibit issues that are likely to cause instability and crashes. It’s a protection mechanism at work.

One other slim possibility (which was reported here: WL 9.5 | lib.pluginsupport.exe false identification as ransomware by Trend Micro - WaveLab - Steinberg Forums ) is that a security program on your system might have previously halted WaveLab’s scan while it performed license authentication functions (such as checking iLok or other licenses) and, in the process, the licenses and related plugin dependencies were botched. If you suspect this may have occurred at some point in the past, you can try the fix listed at the end of that thread. This isn’t really WaveLab’s fault per se; it’s just a function of various security software misinterpreting what WaveLab does in certain circumstances. This wouldn’t be common, and once you fixed the issue, it’s not likely that the same plugins would be affected if such a “security glitch” ever happened again.

Honestly, there is nothing to be “fixed” in WaveLab here. (Almost nothing anyway; there is a possibility that a plugin’s incompatibility is indeed due to WaveLab, but that’s a side-issue at this point.) WaveLab is working by design. Your arguments are invalid. Half of your list is simply not correct, and the other half likely represents you putting the wrong plugins in the wrong places and/or needing to update them. There is nothing (likely) that can be “fixed” in WaveLab to make this different for you; you need to understand your list, understand your plugin configuration, and ensure you’ve got updated, 64-bit plugins installed. Then, after a rescan, please report back here and we can try to help you with any remaining issues.

I have used Eventide plugins in WaveLab with no issues. I currently use 46 Plugin Alliance plugins in WaveLab with no issues. (I’ve experienced some Plugin Alliance plugin issues in WaveLab in the past, but the required fixes required were implemented by PA, not Steinberg.) As I review your list of complaints, and the ones that remain as possible issues, I suspect that WaveLab is not the problem, and that nothing needs to be fixed here other than your plugin configuration.

Also, you keep saying that Steinberg needs to fix the program. Do you realize that PG (who has posted trying to help you several times) is the original author and the primary developer of WaveLab? “Steinberg” can’t really fix any possible issues, but PG can.

Yes, I did.

I still say, fix the program (WaveLab 9.5x), or get me technical support.

THAT is what Steinberg should do for me. I want an official explanation and course of action, by which to approach this problem.

I’m not making this personal. I can tell that PG is deep into the ‘technology’. (None of this is to put him nor yourself down.)

Do you see this ‘price’ I paid Steinberg?! (WaveLab: Audio Mastering Software | Steinberg)

This product was not FREE for me; Steinberg did not do me any favor and donate this program to me.

I paid for some things, to include technical support (which I surely have formally requested).

In essence I’m not arguing with you technically, that is not my intent. This is an internet ‘forum’, not tech support. I’m literally waiting upon those who are PAID to explain and assist me on this. You know… the ‘customer’ care aspect.

I was a technician for 35 years; now… I’m just a plain old musician. I’m not picking around in my files, doing what the product SHOULD be ‘programmed’ to do. I understand that this stuff is complex… I’ve done more troubleshooting than you know and frankly I am ‘tired’ of it.

Cubase finds and makes available virtually ALL of my 64 bit plugins… WaveLab 9.5x does not. As a musician, I should not have to be applying complex technical work-arounds to get the product to work properly. I have some issues with Steinberg’s technical support itself that I haven’t discussed here.

I appreciate your input and that of PG. Now however… I want an official answer AND proper technical support. For the price I paid for WaveLab… I’m certain I should be able to get the same.

Hey cefshah -

I can understand the feeling of being frustrated and looking for support from Steinberg, and I agree that Steinberg support can be slower than you like. I get your frustration. I’ve had plenty of issues with Steinberg (and plenty of other companies’) products, but over the years I’ve come to realize that most of the frustrations related to plugins have been my own (or the plugins’) fault.

I also understand the frustration of dealing with processes that seem unclear and just “wanting them to work.” I think all software users have experienced this. I’m not trying to oppose you; I’m just trying to help you understand that your lengthy and angry posts show a fundamental misunderstanding of the situation. I get it - you just want to move on with making music and working on your audio files, and you don’t want these mysterious issues to occur. It’s understandable. That said, WaveLab is a precision tool used by pros, and I would estimate that most, if not all, of the issues you report are occurring by design and aren’t actually problems but simply the way WaveLab works - for good reason.

There really isn’t one needed. The problems are probably your own. Imagine if you filled a Ford car with 20 tons of fish and then said, “I demand that Ford explain why the car smells so bad and won’t move forward when I hit the gas.” Ford doesn’t owe you an explanation. Until you do a bit more work on your part, Steinberg doesn’t owe an explanation either.

I agree, but the program shouldn’t behave incorrectly, which is effectively what you’re asking. Also, often applications at such a price point also expect that you, as a professional with the desire and funds to buy such a program, understand how plugins work and how to configure them to operate correctly in WaveLab.

I agree with your desire for more tech support, which could probably help in this case. But there are myriad plugins in the world, and Steinberg support can’t be expected to resolve issues with each and every one - especially if a plugin itself isn’t up to current specifications. Imagine if you bought a cassette tape player from 1989 and then demanded that Toyota explain why your new Tundra’s center console doesn’t work with the player’s connections and form factor.

For example, you listed Voxengo Pristine Space as a problem plugin. Pristine Space was released around 2004 and hasn’t been updated since 2008. There isn’t a 64-bit version available. You demand “Steinberg must fix this!” But WaveLab, a precision tool, is crafted to work smoothly, to modern specifications. It’s somewhat strict in its adherence to VST specifications. PG isn’t going to risk WaveLab’s stability and good architecture to support a 32-bit plugin from 2008. That’s not Steinberg’s problem. If you want to use such a plugin in WaveLab 9.5, you need to use jBridge or another bridging utility.

I can understand your feelings, and I agree that things overall should be easier and plugins more interoperable. That said, this isn’t Steinberg’s fault. The tools work the way they do. WaveLab should not “be programmed to” use 32-bit plugins or outdated plugins, precisely because both Cubase and WaveLab no longer support 32-bit plugins and tend to not support out-of-specification plugins. What you’re saying is, “I don’t want to mess with this anymore; I just want it all to work.” I understand your feeling, but what you’re asking for is for WaveLab to not work correctly.

With sincere respect for you and your feelings, when using modern, precision tools like WaveLab 9.5, you need to do the work and develop an understanding of what you’re dealing with. Imagine if you were a traditional woodworker for 35 years and bought a brand-new, computer-controlled lathe. You turned it on and tried to run a carving algorithm and it destroyed your project. Would you say, “This thing is just supposed to work!!” ? You might take a second look and try to figure out what you did wrong, also. I’m not saying WaveLab doesn’t have bugs and problems; I’m saying, based upon the list you provided, your demands are partially illegitimate and partially (possibly) caused by your own refusal to straighten up your plugin environment. No amount of recoding WaveLab can fix a user’s stubbornness.

I guarantee you that the 6 plugins I mentioned in your list as non-issues do not load in Cubase 9.5 without bridging software. If you disagree, please post a screenshot showing them in use in Cubase’s Plugin Manager and in the DAW itself.

With respect, I ask you to consider that nothing I’ve suggested is a complex technical workaround. It’s plugin 101. It’s like buying the correct gas for your car. When you arrive at a gas station and are confronted with the possibilities of 3 types of unleaded, ethanol, diesel, etc., do you throw up your hands and say, “This is so unfair! I can’t believe I have to do a technical evaluation of the fuel possibilities here!!” No, you recognize which fuels work with your car and you make a selection. Plugins in 2018 are the same way. If you feed Cubase 9.5 or WaveLab 9.5 outdated plugins, or 32-bit plugins, the plugins will be ignored and/or won’t work.

Fair enough. I’ve had them as well, although overall I’ve been satisfied with support over time - especially when I realized that I was often causing my own issues.

You can’t get a more official answer and support on WaveLab than responses from PG. He codes WaveLab.

No, I don’t believe you can.

I’m waiting on technical support and related input.

Peace.

Sounds good. In the meantime, to help the community here, you should post screenshots of Cubase 9.5 successfully utilizing the plugins from your list of plugins ignored by WaveLab. For each plugin, we would need to see (a) a screenshot of the plugin listed as available in Cubase’s Plugin Manager, including the plugin path (so we can establish we’re talking about the same plugin file as from your list of WaveLab-ignored plugins); and (b) a screenshot of that plugin working inside of Cubase (on a track, for example) without the use of a bridger utility. I’d like to see this and try to reproduce on one of our systems to help you further as you wait on tech support.

I won’t do that, because this isn’t a Cubase thread. Tech support has contacted me and we are working out a time when they can take a look at my system.

I will say, that Cubase 9.5 finds 650+ old and new plugins. In fact, it is amazing at parsing the plugin folder/directory. And its list does NOT randomly change what is listed/available for use. It finds all of my Waves, Fab Filter, Steinberg, Brainworx, Softube, iZotope plugins (everything) I’ve loaded for use. It can determine what is VST2, VST3 and so rarely has an interface flake-out or a plugin 'crash it… I don’t even think about it.

The latest thing with WaveLab, is that Acustica “Ruby” (Acustica Audio), causes WaveLab to ‘crash’, when rendering.

Cubase and my 32bit version of Sound Forge are handling that, with zero issues. It is a brand new purchase, not old/outdated by any means. And it seems like some kind of miracle, that WaveLab found that plugin and made it available at all. Sounds great, but it will not process. There is a thread in this forum, about that specific plugin. I didn’t start that one, but I did chime in:

That’s skewing the point. You’ve explained that certain plugins work in Cubase 9.5 but they don’t in WaveLab 9.5. We’re trying to help you figure out why that might be, and also potentially helping others who might have the same issues and search here in the future. One way to demonstrate your situation would be to post screenshots of the particular plugins in question - the exact same files not working in WaveLab - working in Cubase. No one would mind if you posted such screenshots in this forum, because we’re trying to deduce how a plugin could be working in Cubase but not WaveLab. By establishing a plugin does work in Cubase, we rule out the possibility that it’s 32-bit or out-of-specification. Make sense?

Without proof, I would suppose that Cubase 9.5 is ignoring/blacklisting almost exactly the same plugins as WaveLab. It’s up to you to show us otherwise, demonstrating specific plugins. Otherwise you’re just being obtuse to the community here.

This is a valid complaint, and I’ve seen similar issues with Acustica products before in both Cubase and WaveLab. You’re right - this product is current and should be expected to work. Just keep in mind - many of us have had similar crashes and issues before, and most often it was the plugin manufacturer who needed to bring something into VST specification and/or generally resolve the issue. In my experience, WaveLab tends to enforce specification a bit more strictly than Cubase. (By the way, did you know that Steinberg invented the VST specifications?) Of course, it could be that WaveLab is at fault here - and you’re absolutely right to report the issue. One thing I can vouch for: PG is quite responsive. Once PG understands that there’s a definite bug, historically he releases a fix within the next minor update (i.e. fairly quickly).

I’m convinced by reading this forum over the last couple of years, that Steinberg needs to FIX WaveLab.

It’s an amazing program (concept) overall… but I’m sick of troubleshooting it.

If technical support can’t help me, I’m done with it and hope I can find a decent replacement going forward.

Thanks for all the help folks.

Peace.

cefshah, if you continue to bring the same unreasonable expectations and unwillingness to learn to other applications, perhaps spending several months (or years) and more money on alternate products, sooner or later you will discover that no application meets (or could possibly meet) all of your expectations. This is because some of your expectations are ill-informed. After your exploration of other products (some of which, if we’re talking true WaveLab competitors, are much more archaic in architecture and have many more grievous flaws than what you’re reporting), you may wistfully look back and regard WaveLab as a fantastic work of coding excellence, and be dismayed that you didn’t simply take the time and patience to understand.

Please know I’m not trying to be antagonistic here. I’m trying to help spare you time and money. There is no “just-working-perfectly” tool like WaveLab out there, as the forums of competitive products clearly attest. WaveLab is one of the very best tools of its class - if not the best - and its actual, real bugs and issues are relatively light compared to the competition.

Then again, the choice is certainly yours as to which tools you prefer.

I’ve been doing this computer music for 25+ years. I know how to install and use plugins. They difficulty in this version of WaveLab is ‘exceptional’. NEVER have I had to deal with GROUPS of missing/changing plugins in ANY other DAW.

WaveLab is problematic. I know this and can see it in the posts, and in my own experiences with it. Those older programs I own that are “…much more archaic in architecture…”, are saving my butt. I didn’t go BACK to Sound Forge because I wanted to, but because I had to.

I’m not expecting perfection (I’ve been on the Cubase forum since I was a young man.)

So please, just KNOW that I think WaveLab is great… AND that Steinberg needs to invest the time/money in its products (to include training/personnel to support customers) to make them better. That isn’t just ‘me’ saying this… it is good business sense.

I like WaveLab… but I am about to END my relationship with it. The product needs to be IMPROVED (specifically, with respect to parsing/handling plugins)… and soon.

If you are on Steinberg’s payroll and can communicate to me via tech support, I would welcome it more. Yet, I’ve tried various solutions suggested by other ‘experts’, and they did not resolve the specific problem I have originally posted. Sorry if I cam here to blow off steam, but that is about all I can do at this point. I’m not confident with ‘solutions’ offered here. I’m not the first person to post about this. This goes back ‘years’ with WaveLab and I’m somewhat sorry I even looked for others dealing with the same issue; it hasn’t been very encouraging overall.