(Poll) bezier curves, snap to zero in CC & automation

@Oxygen Beats… HERE’S A THING! are those curves as such in code or are they just displayed that way… Are they true curves??? or more simply a few points in straight lines??? to what resolution are the bits to the curve??? or increasing resolution???

If we don’t get Bezier Curves by Cubase 10 I suspect many more users will be annoyed. In Cubase 8, I wasn’t bothered (happy with the parabola tool), by 9 it would be nice, 10 come on Steinberg what you doing!!!

I guess there are plenty of others who prefer full manual plot control with a pencil, rather than pulling an anchor to pull a curve. I can draw a freeform riser in secs, rather than selecting and pulling an anchor, then click of a 2nd anchor and pull another curve in. Anchor polygon type curves are very limited and just take more time.
The way Cubase does this is a feature, not a shortcoming, over what the competition does.
If you like fruity loops better, just go to image line.

Audio fade in/out have some kind of curve, Groove Agent envelope have some bezier curve.
It will come to the midi side, but when…

I hope bezier curve and also Midi Macro Control tools are not rank to low on the to do list of Steinberg :wink:

Don’t say that! Even if it’s true that only electronic music producers want this feature, it will benefit everyone.

Also, if Steinberg says it’s too hard to implement this, then they could at least give us more powerful ways for editing selecting points. This would include horizontal stretching/compressing and perhaps warping which could work like liquify works in photoshop.

Because sure, you can draw points… you can draw your sine wave, your parabola, etc… but you can’t adjust the slope, curvature, or frequency afterward. Very annoying.

Also, for CC controllers, not only do we not have smart curves, we don’t even have straight lines. We have stair cases. That’s even more annoying.

I messaged Steinberg to see if they were at least planning to do smart automation/bezier curves, and here’s the reply I got:

"Hello Quinlan,

Thank you for contacting the Steinberg US Support team. My name is Josh and I will be assisting you with your request.

We have not heard from our development team in Germany regarding any plans for smart curves with our software. Please feel free to email any feedback you may have to our developers at info[at]steinberg.de

I believe this should resolve your request. You will be receiving a survey by email. Please let me know how I did today. Thank you!"

The parabola tool is very useful. But the more curve functions the better!!

Cubase has other tools for that… see gif.
automation.gif

i like automation in cubase! i have sugested enhancements, maybe they could be brought to the new forum : Steinberg Forums

Yes yes and yes,please add

+1

It’s weird, cos there has been bezier (ish) curves for clip fades and offline process pitch envelope since as long as I can remember.

It’s just adding 1 or 2 options that are most of time not so invasive, and that are so basic.
Many of modern envelope editor got those tool without to be invasive.

Even the fade in/out audio in Cubase got some of those function, envelope in Groove Agent got those functions…

There is so many way to incorporate those functions…

Those are not so invasive, and the most of all will not change drastically your workflow as you know how to use them because it’s already in many envelope editor (like fade for audio, env in Groove Agent, and more…)

SteveInChicago. oh cool, I didn’t realize the alt+drag option. Of course, I’d still like to see a lot more work done on the automtion in cubase, but this is nice to know. Thanks again!

A +1 for good luck.

The prime example is FL Studio.

mod edit: There’s no need to post multiples of the same topic, especially for something that already has a thread going. I removed those posts and put a poll in this thread to replace yours.
I have just added a poll on this question

[snip]

@SteveInChicago - could you add the word ‘Poll’ to the OP’s title subject line too…?

BUMP!

First thanks Steinberg for the bezier curves, among other features. Really thankful. But , but but…

How do people feel about the new bezier curves in Cubase 9.5? I havent updated yet but planning to do so, but feels so frustrating that the implementation feels so limited, why not have them in the key editor also, with snapping vertically etc etc?

Whyyyyyyy???

Please just post on one of the 3 or 4 other active threads on the subject.

Yes, maybe you are right. There are some other threads covering the subject. But i did a organization by most viewed topics, and this thread popped up as the most viewed before the other threads.

So i found it logical to just bump it, since the features that had been requested and given attention by the forum (by number of views) havent been fully adressed.

And also to make the importance of better automation, as requested, recognized. Since the only thing we got in this area was one more point (to make the bezier curve, and the marking tool to move segment points.

There is so much more that can be done (like the detail of integrating bezier to key editor and clip fades), and it feels like the guys working at the “better automation” department did a lazy job. I know im crying for this s**t, and maybe asking for too much?? I dont know…

Really happy they added this for automation but sad that the clip modulation didn’t get this upgrade. It’s really annoying that it was only halfway implemented. I really hope they add this in before version 10 cuz it’s still the biggest workflow killer for me.

Were Bezier curves (in key editor) excluded only to ‘tease’ CP10. Sure hope not :frowning: