Poly pressure: What is it? and how does it differ from aftertouch?

Hello MIDI enthusiasts!

I’m in Groove Agent testing acoustic agent’s choke function.

I don’t understand what is poly pressure?

How do you trigger it? What action do you have to take with the midi controller? How do you emulate this action from the midi event within Key Editor?
How is polypressure different from aftertouch?

And finally,
Without a MIDI controller, What’s the easiest way to modify the MIDI event to trigger the choke function on the cymbals?

Thanks!

Poly pressure is basically aftertouch per key. The CS80 is famous for this feature and with a little practice you can do amazing things with it. However, relatively few keyboards are capable of emitting poly pressure. You can use the list editor to create poly pressure events. You enter the note and the pressure value.

Hi,

From the MIDI Specification:
Polyphonic Key Pressure (Aftertouch).
This message is most often sent by pressing down on the key after it “bottoms out”. (kkkkkkk) is the key (note) number. (vvvvvvv) is the pressure value.

Channel Pressure (After-touch).
This message is most often sent by pressing down on the key after it “bottoms out”. This message is different from polyphonic after-touch. Use this message to send the single greatest pressure value (of all the current depressed keys). (vvvvvvv) is the pressure value.

Thanks guys!

So basically, if you’re not carrying a MIDI controller, the only way to control the Choke function is to write automation for either aftertouch/polypressure, or Choke’s on/off button.

Am I right?