Polymeter in Dorico 3.5

The anacrusis bar is used just to get the (visual) different time signature.

There are other ways, but it’s usually the easiest, and makes sure all the normal alignment/spacing things happen.

Thanks again!

Before I forget: do either of you use Dorico in connection with Cubase? Is there any integration between the two? For example, can they be somehow ‘linked’, so that an action in one is automatically created in the other?

Down that path lies madness.

Notation software is not a DAW, a DAW is not notation software.

The fundamental mismatch is that in a DAW, time always moves forward, so it really can’t cope with things like repeats.

Yes, that has always been the reality . . . I was hoping against hope.

I used to use the Score editor in Cubase (still do, occasionally), and – if I remember correctly, it did playback repeats (but my memory may not be that reliable anymore!).

Another thing that hasn’t been mentioned yet is that Dorico handles nested tuplets very nicely, so, for instance, if you’ve got some sort of polymetric stuff going on with e.g. a 7/8 bar against a 4/4 bar (using tuplets), there’s no limit to then using further, visible or invisible, tuplets within any of those measures.

The Cubase vs Dorico thing is tricky, though. Fundamentally in Dorico the notation is king and the piano roll view is a visual overlay, whereas in Cubase (and other DAWs) the piano roll is king and any notation is a visual overlay.

Thanks, pianoLeo – that’s good to know!

BTW – tho’ this may be easy or irrelevant stuff for you guys: my website – www.thinkingmusic.ca – has numerous (free) analyses of jazz and classical harmony (and other things), if you’re interested (a way of reciprocating your kindness here today!).

Thanks again!

2 Likes