Polymeter reliability // irrational meters

First off, I need to say how thrilled I am that polymetric capability has already shown up in v1.0. I know that Daniel has elsewhere mentioned that this feature is experimental at the moment, but it really does work quite solidly already. I can put 5/8 over 3/4 over 4/4, and the barlines show up independently and beautifully. (See screenshot. This makes sense considering how Dorico fundamentally understands notes!) So: thank you, thank you, thank you.

Polymeter does seem to eventually confuse the program, though: ran into a couple of cases where after futzing around with different meters I deleted all time signatures, then all barlines, and tried trimming the flow repeatedly. I wasn’t able to trim the flow all the way down, and when I tried applying a common meter across the board Dorico seemed lost. I will try reproducing this case with a screenshot later.

Additionally: applying polymeter is a bit unreliable right now. Sometimes when I select a time signature from the time signature panel it ends up applying to all staves instead of letting me place it individually. This could be because something in the score was already selected without me realizing, but I don’t think that was the case.

Thank you as well for including basic graphical support for irrational meters!! This is a HUGE step forward from existing software… that being said, it seems as though irrational meters haven’t really been rhythmically coded in yet. This is most evident when one uses an irrational meter in a polymetric score; the barlines don’t line up as they should. (It’s also evident in playback, but that’s less of a priority.) I understand this is probably low on the list of things to eventually work into the program, considering that irrational meters are a less often used feature than many others… I was curious, though, as to whether or not there were any plans to have irrational meters actually work rhythmically as they should.

Many thanks for the feedback. If you can provide any further details of the problems you are experiencing (and the steps you took to find the problem) then I’ll take a look and see if I can help.

As you already know, the polymetric features are not fully-formed in all areas yet, and so I wouldn’t be surprised if some things go awry when used in conjunction with irrational meters.