Polymetric passage: how to remove end-of-system barline where a player’s bar straddles two systems?

I have a polymetric passage for two players, with flute in 3/4, and bassoon using changing meters (all of which have time values in common with the flute part). Naturally, while one instrument’s end-of-system bar is complete, the other instrument’s may be incomplete. Even so, Dorico ends a system with a barline for every part, regardless.

So my question is this: is there any way to hide/remove an individual barline where necessary, to indicate that that bar, for that instrument, is unfinished? (I realize that one can do this systemically, for a one-staff piece – eg, leadsheet – but this is a different situation.)

Thanks, in advance, for your help!

I’m afraid I can’t reproduce the problem.
With factory Engraving Options and Notation Options I get the following:

There’s certainly a trick that involves using a dashed barline and setting the dash length (or possibly the gap length) to 0, but I don’t know why you’d need it here.

Could you cut down the project to just the relevant passage and upload it here, perhaps?

Hi, pianoleo! Thanks for responding - I appreciate it!

From what I see in your post, you HAVE managed to omit the viola’s end-of-system barline – or was that simply via your screen capture?

Here’s the passage in question (the music itself was just for experiment purposes):

That’s precisely my point. I just inputted a global time signature on the top staff and a local time signature on the lower staff; there was no need to hide anything. My screenshot is what Dorico does by default.

Hmm . . . I don’t understand: in mine, it’s the upper staff that has the global signature and the lower the local, changing ones. Why does yours hide the end-of-system barline and mine not?

I don’t know. If I can get my hands on your project I may be able to figure it out. From a screenshot, I honestly have no idea. The chances are it’s something to do with the way you inputted that final 3/4 in the lower staff.

Were I to create something even simpler, and upload the Dorico file for it – that is, if I still get the inappropriate end of system barline – would you be able to see where I’m going wrong?

Sure.

You are very kind, pianoleo – thank-you!
I’ll get back to you in a few minutes. . .

Sorry it took some time – I’m still taking baby steps, learning this program.

I don’t know what did it, but – this time – Dorico did eliminate the offending end-of-system barline!

I don’t know why it didn’t do it in the previous example. . .

Of course, how it ends up looking depends on how many bars Dorico decides to assign to each system, while in Write mode. For example, had Dorico assigned three of the flute’s bars to system 1, there would have been no need to remove the bassoon’s end-of-system barline . . . but I guess that’s what Engrave mode (which I haven’t yet studied) is for!

Even tho’ I don’t yet understand this, I’m very relieved to know that Dorico can do this!

Thanks, pianoleo – I really appreciate your help!