Polywav, dual mono into stereo ...

Hello everyone,

I used to work with ProTools but decided to try Nuendo. But I encountered several issues.
First, I mainly work with field recorders (like Zoom F8, Sound Devices …) which output polywav with all the tracks in it. But Nuendo consider it as a surround file. The split option in the pool do work but when I have both mono and stereo tracks into the same polywav file, it do not allow me to split the polywav file into different mono and stereo file. I was unable to find an efficient solution.
Another problem which is kind of related : while importing an AAF file, it splits (not Nuendo issue there, AAF) all the stereo tracks into two mono. I end up then with two clips, one for the left channel and one for the right, on two mono tracks and I am not able to put them on a stereo tracks without rendering or exporting something. Which is kind of annoying when you have like dozens or thousands of tracks and more clips.
Do I miss something ? Is there efficients way of doing this ?

Thank you in advance,

Nathan

I’m not sure this will solve your issues but hopefully you overlooked this options-dialogue in Preferences > Editing > Audio:

Niek/ Amsterdam

Thanks for the answser ! This works when I only have mono tracks into a polywave file, since there is some stereo tracks too I am unable to combine it.

Nathan

Try also Project / Convert tracks. This allows you to convert polywav to mono or mono to stereo.

@Stingray I didn’t saw this. It works indeed ! But I can’t really do editing with this method, if I had to create new tracks and convert it every time I want to add a clip, it will be a nightmare … Thanks by way !

So how did you achieve this efficiently in Pro Tools?

If files are named .L and .R you just drag and drop them to stereo track.

Yes, in the cliplist, which is kind of equivalent of the pool, each file have a arrow at the left that allows to unroll it like a folder where you can find each channel. Then you juste select the channel you want and drag it. Pro Tools annoyed me very much because I needed to drag the full clip on the timeline where Nuendo allows me to make a selection into the sample editor and then drag it.

you don’t.
If you drag them under the last track, nuendo creates automatically new ones.
Keep in mind that shorcuts and macros are also assignable. Just assign a shortcut to convert tracks…

When I convert Moto to stereo from AAF (yeah… AAF it’s still old school…) I usually delete the source tracks, so that two monos become one stereo

It may help

After some research I may have a cool workflow for you:

-open mediabay and on the left select the folder with your prod sound you need to import
-select the file and in the player decide if you want a portion or the whole file
-right click on the files name: insert into project / at cursor (f.e., and you may want a shorcut for this)
-if in the preference you have already selected “split files in mono when import”, you’ll see your file splitted on the selected tracks
-now you can convert the two tracks you need in stereo with the custom shortcut for convert tracks / mono to multichannel
-move the desired stereo clip where you need it

Hope this workflow helps. I switched from pro tools 3 years ago and had this problem too. After that I realized two things:

-the nuendo solution is better, as you can import any kind of file (mono stereo or surround) on the track and the track doesn’t change his configuration. It means: if you bring a 5.1 file in a stereo track, nuendo automatically sets the track up for stereo downmixing. If you bring a stereo file in a 5.1 track, nuendo plays the stereo file only to L and R out, leaving the 5.1 configurations intact and the other tracks blank.
f.e. in sound design, If I take a strereo file and I want it mono, I don’t need to use only left or right. I just move it to a mono track.

-at the end it always comes to a shortcut or macro. If you want to increase your workflow, spend some time in creating them for your needs. After three years I edit stuff at least 2/3 times faster in nuendo than in protools.