Portrait-oriented monitors

In Sibelius, I work primarily on my portrait rotated monitor (screen 2 in the attached picture). I’m a little wary of what appears to be Dorico’s lack of support for removing the two “toolbox areas” on either side of the score. I work primarily with orchestral size systems, and the landscape mode won’t do.

What’s the support for keeping the toolboxes on a separate monitor from the portrait monitor? Any other solutions to this?
screens.JPG

certainly, releasing an app in 2016 without total flexibility regarding multi-monitor support is unthinkable, no?

The panels to the left and right are not detachable, I’m afraid, but you can comfortably work with them closed 99% of the time, particularly in Write mode, because you can access practically all of their functions directly via the computer keyboard by way of the popover interface.

Hi Daniel:

Aside from the panels to the left and right of the main screen, what about the ability to use multiple monitors in general? For example, a big screen to display the score or midi layout, and then a separate screen for a mixer, keypad, maybe a transport window, etc.

Thanks!

I’m curious about this comment Daniel, because in Hiding the status bar? - Dorico - Steinberg Forums in which I enquired about a “Full Screen Mode” you said:

“We have no current plans to make it possible to hide the remaining parts of the user interface, because the toolboxes to the left and right and the status bar at the bottom edge all also function as the parts of the UI that you click on to show or hide the panels attached to the screen edge”

Further in the thread you said it was not possible to set the panels to appear only on a mouse hover.

Since you now say that the panels can be closed, has there been a design change allowing for a true full screen mode since the earlier thread?

I think there might be confusion on what being “closed” means, as well as “open”.

Forgive me if I am wrong, but having the panels on both edges, as shown in the screen shot from the other thread, is having them “closed” (as in they are always present). I think what Daniel means by “open” is that when you click on the “f” symbol on the right tool bar, an additional panel opens up to display all of the dynamic options available to the user. Clicking on the “f” again “closes” the dynamics panel, and all you see is the single tool bar running down the right side. By saying you can run with them “closed” 99% of the time, means they are always present, just not “open”, because via keyboard shortcuts you can access most of the functionality that these tool bars offer.

Not sure that is correct, or if it makes sense, but that is what I got from both the MOLA presentation video (you should watch it on Youtube if you haven’t seen it), and from what seems to be discussed here.

I think maybe some of the confusion comes from what is the name of the items down the side (tool bar, side panel, etc.)?

Robby

I think also there is confusion on the “pop-over” term…

The idea of the pop-over is explained in one of the earlier Making Notes blog entries.

Robby

Robby’s got it exactly right. The panels are always attached to the sides of the window, but they can be closed, i.e. their contents are not shown and the width of the panel disappears so that you are left with (depending on the mode) either the column of toolbox buttons that open a specific panel, or the disclosure arrow that shows the panel for that side of the window. The toolbox is about 36 pixels wide, and the disclosure arrow is about 12 pixels wide, so you’re not giving up a huge amount of screen real estate for the convenience of being able to open the panels.

Regarding the use of multiple monitors, you can certainly have multiple windows open onto the same project, and have them open in different modes, and Dorico will remember their sizes and positions when you later reopen the project.

regarding this, have any of you noticed their resolution in portrait mode being inferior to landscape? I may be seeing things, but I’d swear flipping the orientation (I run 2 Eizo 1932 via D-sub on an AMD Radeon, 2 more monitors on another Radeon) somewhat loses the sharpness of the original native resolution (I’m operating the switches via the Windows 10/64 display control panel.

Probably has to do with viewing angle differences between vertical vs horizontal rotations. Or how ClearType fonts render differently on rotated monitors. I know I have the viewing angle problem with my vertical monitor.

I think it’s got something to do with the alignment of the RGB subpixels. Unless you look at mobile phone screens, they are usually aligned vertically. I presume ClearType isn’t aware of the rotation of the monitor, and hence can’t do its magic properly if the subpixels aren’t aligned as it’d expect.

I guess a 4K monitor wouldn’t be as problematic.

A related question: the “system requirements” in the brochure I picked up last night (great event, BTW) include “1920 x 1280 display resolution”. Neither of the computers I would use Dorico on support this resolution: is it an absolute requirement, and if not, what problems would there be in using Dorico with lower resolution?

(I see the “System requirements and support” page at Dorico: Music Notation Software | Steinberg doesn’t mention screen resolution)

I think that’s an error in the brochure (my fault, because I proofread it). The larger the display the better, but really the workable minimum screen resolution would be 1280 x 1024, probably.

Thanks Daniel, that’s good to know. No excuse not to buy it now!

Andrew