Possible channel EQ bug? NOW REPRODUCIBLE

I’m experiencing some unusual things with the Cubase channel EQ. When I’m using the high pass on the main EQ (not the Pre section high pass) I’m finding that occasionally the sound won’t be properly high passed. It sounds as if it’s actually at a lower frequency than is actually shown on screen. If I very slightly move the frequency control, the sound suddenly becomes corrected.

Can’t pin down exactly how to reproduce this so far. Seems to just randomly happen sometimes. Perhaps it’s even project specific. I’m not sure. Is anyone else experiencing anything similar?

Well this is definitely happening and it’s quite a worrying problem. I haven’t got time to fully investigate/troubleshoot right now because I’m up against a deadline.

But… I load up the project that I’m working on… something sounds different compared to the reference bounce I made yesterday from the same session file. I investigate and It’s the Cubase high pass EQ’s. Not every channel but lots of them. I have to go through and change the frequency setting and then change back and the problem is cured. Before I do that, what I am hearing is as if the high pass EQ’s are set at a lower frequency than they really should be.

One thing I can think of that I have done very recently is save a default channel EQ setting, with a high pass filter already set up. Could this be related? I’m pretty certain that this glitch is NOT causing the high pass to move to the exact same frequency as my EQ preset though.

Thanks for the reply but come on… that’s not a good solution! Saving settings and then esetting my channels? Sure that will fix the problem but you try doing that on a 200 track session every time you load it. No thanks. :slight_smile:

Ok, I’m getting this issue on multiple projects now. I would most definitely call this a bug (and personally I’d say it’s the most serious one I’ve seen in Cubase) although perhaps it’s something strange just going on in my system. Obviously would be good to know if anyone else is experiencing this.

Sometimes it’s not immediately obvious. Say you have a channel high passed at 600Hz… what is coming out of your speakers might sound more like 400Hz until you give the EQ frequency setting a quick adjustment up and back down which will ‘reset’ the EQ to the correct frequency.

I will probably roll back to 8.0.1 and see if the problem goes away.

Ok… I do believe this is related to having a default EQ preset stored. I just changed my default EQ setting to something very drastic. I saved it with a high pass at 8kHz and sure enough… when I load up a project, some of my tracks sound like they are high passed at 8kHz, even though they are actually set to high pass somewhere much lower, like 200Hz. A quick adjustment of the frequency setting up and back down restores the high pass to the correct frequency.

Is anyone using a default EQ preset and can they reproduce this?

Ok… I do believe this is related to having a default EQ preset stored. I just changed my default EQ setting to something very drastic. I saved it with a high pass at 8kHz and sure enough… when I load up a project, some of my tracks sound like they are high passed at 8kHz, even though they are actually set to high pass somewhere much lower, like 200Hz. A quick adjustment of the frequency setting up and back down restores the high pass to the correct frequency.

Is anyone using a default EQ preset and can they reproduce this?

Does anyone know where the Channel EQ default preset is stored so I can try erasing it? That might fix the problem.

think you open up the eq, select (activate) all bands, make sure the curve is flat, then click on the little circle to see the drop down menu, you can click on “set as default preset” option.

hope this helps

This is easily reproducible (for me at least).

I suspect that you must have a default channel EQ setting saved (right click on the spectrum analyser and select Default Preset > Save as Default Preset).

1. Create a new empty project
  2. Add a single audio track
  3. Add an audio file
  4. Turn on any/all bands of the EQ and change all the frequency positions from their default
  5. Save and close the project
  6. Re-open the project and the audio channel displays the correct settings but the sound coming out of the speakers is as if all your frequencies have been reset to their default postions. If you quickly tweak them up and back down, the sound is then corrected.

Just some further clarification… It seems that you will only have this issue if you save a default that has the bands SWITCHED ON. When I saved my preset, I actually intended to have them bypassed but just set up with my typical starting point in order to save a bit of time. I’ve now re-saved with all bands off and it’s cured the problem. So technically I’d call this a bug BUT in typical use, one would probably not encounter it.

I’ll stop freaking out now! :slight_smile:

But good to know, thanks.

Thanks for the heads-up.

It would be great if you could report this as a bug in the issues forum, otherwise the chances of this ever getting fixed are very slim.

Yes I also have a bug with my Cubase 8.5.0 pro EQing
Its 100% inside cubase since its easy to produce in an empty project with 0 plugins
With ANY sound if I use ANY Low cut EQ to filter bass and low freqs - either on the channel FX or with Studio Eq or any EQ plugins whatsoever - when I bounce a snippet of the Audio , the resulting Audio is about 500 ms longer with faint echos / noises of the sound
This is more prominent with Kicks and Bass, which is how I noticed
With a kick loud in my headphones it had this Echo on it and was driving me nuts for days
Its on all channels with any low filter - which is nearly all of them, so imagine how much noise is being made !!
Needless to say This is seriously affecting the cleanliness of my mixes

I have been trying to resolve this for 1 month with no joy
I have contacted Cubase but they haven’t found me an answer
I have reset all prefs, cleared all my settings from the user/ app data folder.
Changed drivers, changed connections, did it with no connections
Always the same. With the filter off the Audio bounces as expected with 0 sound outside of the size of the original Wav
I will try the default channel settings as suggested above

Anyone else experienced this or can try a quick KiK test to see if it happens ???
Any help would be greatly appreciated I am really tired of this and really need to get some tracks mixed

I am reinstalling windows, soundcard etc. then I will reinstall cubase. Such a pain
I may have to get a MAC
Cheers

Today I am getting this unwanted Audio when I import ANY audio files, I noticed with some drum hits - 24bit wav sample pack samples.
This is mega annoying
Anyone got any idea ?