Praise for Anthony Hughes's new series of videos

I watched the entire series of new videos for Dorico 4 by Anthony Hughes, who certainly deserves an Oscar or BAFTA for offering us such gems. It would be difficult to find something more carefully crafted and delivered in the industry. It is always a joy to watch these videos, which speak highly of the care that goes into all aspects of Dorico.

38 Likes

Ditto. Job well done, Anthony.

3 Likes

Very many thanks, it is an honour and a privilege to make them. I am very glad they are useful to you.

32 Likes

@Anthony_at_Steinberg - wonderful sense of warm humor and obvious enjoyment in the videos. Iā€™m a video-hater in general, Iā€™m not happy how the world is abandoning the written word in favor of ā€œHey Guys ā€¦ /long rambling off the cuff video that you have to wade through/ā€. But your videos are the exception, I actually enjoy them, which is saying a lot :grin:

9 Likes

We missed your dulcet tones, Anthony!

3 Likes

Impressive diction, Romanos401.

1 Like

Hmm, too deep and masculine a voice for dulcet, Iā€™d say more in the woodwind family, like an Ent. Alto clarinet?

Fantastic videos! And now I have the phrase ā€œworking hard onā€ etched into my brain in Anthonyā€™s lovely voice. Anyone else catch that?

1 Like

Where can these be found?

1 Like

Specifically, the 18 videos concerning new features in Dorico 4 are here.

2 Likes

@Anthony_at_Steinberg : Genuine question : do you do voiceovers jobs ?
If so Iā€™d be interested in knowing your rates !
Iā€™m developing an iOS music app and will release a first version in the next few months, I tried to record some voiceover tests over a temporary quick video but my voice is so terrible and monotonous plus I canā€™t stand my french accent, so I was thinking hiring someone for voiceovers for the introduction videos, already got someone in mind for the french version but I reckon youā€™d be my top choice for the english version, if I can afford it haha

1 Like

Indeed. He (in a wonderfully pleasant voice) names the feature(s) heā€™s going to present, then actually shows us- succinctly and clearly- how they function. Outstandingly useful.

3 Likes

Thank you @Anthony_at_Steinberg for creating such wonderful videos! Your timing, humour and clarity make them so watchable and ā€œlearnableā€. Just perfect!

2 Likes

Anthony is the best! I feel like a millionaire while watching his tutorials.

1 Like

Youā€™re too kind everyone, really. Honestly, youā€™ll make me blush.

12 Likes

Itā€™s OK, we donā€™t have to see your face on these videos! :smile:

1 Like

Anthonyā€™s videos are great - thank you; such a lot of areas of the program covered this time round.!

Though, hereā€™s another guy (recent ā€˜dualā€™ user - Sib/Dorico) I found I also really like, for his style and composition/notation tips, and for actually showing us using Dorico.

I love how he just gets on with what heā€™s wanting to explain about composition/musical phrasing - and the technology gets out of the way; no ā€˜this shortcut/that shortcutā€™, ā€˜this panel/that panelā€™ stuff. Yes, its not a Dorico tutorial; its not even about Dorico. I just found it inspiring the ease with which he gets on with stuff and I pay attention to what heā€™s teachingā€¦ :wink:

In other words, more ā€˜real worldā€™ videos, of actually doing/making stuff with Dorico - lead sheets prep, student exercises, transcription, spotting cues to film footage - is what Iā€™m on the lookout for.

PS:- Iā€™m only a hobbyist/infrequent dabbler; Iā€™m a far bigger Cubase user. But, I enjoy and want to support the program. And this whole community here is amazingā€¦ :wink:

2 Likes