Preserving hidden accidentals when changing octave

I’m using the ‘first occurrence of the same note in next bar’ option of Layout Options, primarily because I was so used to the near-equivalent in Sibelius which confined it to the first note in the next bar. So I’m used to hiding accidentals which I don’t believe are necessary. However, if I copy material from one stave to another, and then change the octave, all the cautionaries become visible again, so these then need to be hidden (this example is from cellos to basses):

Is there a way to preserve the hiddenness of accidentals like these?
And - yes - I’m now starting to realise that it would be quicker to check each bar for cautionaries that need to be added (with a different Layout Options choice) than to select whole bunches of accidentals which need to be hidden under my present arrangement.

Yes, transposing a note removes any custom accidental setting.

I also usually use the accidental setting you were using in this example, but for certain pieces it is easier, as you said, to work from the other end.

1 Like

I have now, very late in the day, discovered that the custom accidental property isn’t removed when copying between instruments of different transpositions (e.g. violin to Bb clarinet) in the same octave - as in the B4 in the harmonium RH (coloured red) in this extract:
Symphony extract re cautionaries.dorico (606.2 KB)
Copied and pasted into the clarinet staff, the necessary C# is hidden due to the custom properties of the source note; and I’m fairly sure that won’t be the only occurrence of this kind of thing in what is a very substantial score.

Because of my (intentional) notation options choices, the score is peppered throughout with bracketed cautionaries, so I am (see original post and your reply, Mark) going to change to the most minimalistic from the options menu. In this regard I’m indebted to @pianoleo (in another thread) for the method to reset all accidentals in a flow to their defaults:
1. Select All.
2. Edit > Filter > Notes and Chords
3. Edit > Filter > Deselect Only then Edit > Filter > Tuplets. This will be necessary if your flow contains any tuplets.)
4. Switch off the “Accidental” property.
Having thought about the whole topic of cautionary accidentals, I feel that if there could only be one setting (other than ‘no cautionaries’) it would be the case of a note with any accidental other than a natural at the very end of a bar being followed immediately (first note, next bar) by the same note at its natural pitch. Now that really needs a cautionary natural, and it is for notes in that context I’ll be looking as I go through the score with its changed settings.

Note that there’s an Accidentals signpost available at View > Signposts. Turn it on and it may save you time - it’ll appear wherever an accidental is manually hidden.

1 Like

Great point, Leo - I always have Signposts on, but accidentals weren’t ticked. They are now!!

1 Like

I was using “transposing” to mean moving a note’s pitch on the staff, whether by nudging or the Transposition dialog – as opposed to copying to an instrument in a different key (which I would expect to preserve any setting).

Absoutely Mark, and I’m sorry if I implied otherwise - that was in no way my intention. Apologies.

My post was just to confirm that I’d been caught out by the behaviour of pasted notes with a custom accidental property, and that this also happened (as I later discovered) with notes pasted into a transposing instrument at the same octave, leading to my decision to scrap the use of the notation option I’d been using up to then.

@pianoleo - I’m now finding difficulty in applying the steps to reset all accidentals. It works fine with a partial selection, but not when I use ‘Select All’ . Here’s a video - not very helpful as it turns out, as I had to reduce the resolution and duration, and you can’t see the mouse click targets - but it follows points 2-3, and so shows the deselection of the tuplets. But (and this is different to when I use a partial selection) the note properties are not shown in the bottom panel:

Where am I going wrong?

Is anything typed into the properties panel search bar, just off the left edge of your video?

No, nothing. Here’s what the result looks like with a partial selection:

I was going to say, Filter your selection to just the notes, and then the controls should appear. But I tried it myself on a small file, and they still did not appear. After some fiddling, I found that it works with a selection of either regular notes or grace notes, but not both at once. Have you any grace notes in the piece?

Lots, yes.

So then you can do it in two stages with canny filtering.

And you’re right! If I deselect the grace notes as well as the tuplets, the properties appear!

MANY thanks!