Preset for metadata

Hi Justin, I just loeaded your preset and checked what was changed in the meta data tab, edit-window.

1. So, for the “RIFF” tab, it imports Title and Performer from the CD-text. But what is “RIFF”?

2. For the tabs BWF and IXML and “extra”, nothing happens. No clue what this terms mean though!

3. In the AXML tab, there is code now. Does it mean that only the ISRC that is filled in, in the cd tab window will be imported?
    I know you have told me that the audio CD cant contain meta data, but I mean if I insert the cd later into a computer and “rips” the files from it. Will does files then contain any other meta data information, like track name and artist?

4. For the “CART” tab, title and performer is imported from CD text. But just a quick question, what is CART? :S

5. For the tab ID3/itunes, alot of info has been added. So all that info is automatically generated when I render mp3 only? Or is it for “flac” and “aac” too? And maybe some other formats?

6.Do you know of some good book or something to buy so I can get a better understanding of all the terms mentioned above?

And one more thing:
Later, when doing the rendering. I choose the format I want to render to in the render tab.
In the “audio file format”-dialog, do I have to change from “inherit from source file” to “specific to this configuration”?

I would check this page for an explanation of the terms:

I’ll follow up more later today.

Bump! :slight_smile:

1. Yes, WaveLab will only put the ISRC code in there if it is present in the ISRC section of the CD Tab. Otherwise, it puts all the basic code there but leaves the ISRC field blank if there is no ISRC code in the ISRC section of the CD Tab.

2. I don’t know about FLAC because I don’t use it, but WAV, mp3, and AAC can all contain ID3v2 metadata. However, very few apps can READ ID3v2 metadata in WAV files. Either way, WaveLab will embed the data if you ask it to.

Maybe other FLAC users can help but from what I remember, WaveLab is lacking in FLAC metadata support though I could be wrong or behind.

For all the others, check this link I posted before:

I basically tell WaveLab to transfer all applicable data to any metadata fields that can support it. Again, the usefulness of metadata in a WAV file is debatable at this point but maybe moving forward it will have more value

Thanks Justin! Can you please share your knowledge regarding my last question too:

Later, when doing the rendering. I choose the format I want to render to in the render tab.
In the “audio file format”-dialog, do I have to change from “inherit from source file” to “specific to this configuration”?

Sure, I will actually have to do a trial and error and test this myself to see how I have things set and what’s what. I’ll be back later today.

Thanks, you´re great!

Between, this is what the manual say:

• If Inherit from Source File is selected, the meta-data of the source file are used. If the source meta-data is empty, the default meta-data is used, if available. For example, this can be used to create Wave files with a Unique Material Identifier (BWF standard).

• If selecting Specific to This Configuration is selected, you can edit the meta-data, > or replace it with a meta-data preset> . To edit the meta-data, open the meta-data pop-up menu again, and select Edit.

Maybe is it so that “Specific to This Configuration”, must be chosen if I shall be able to use presets like yours? Judging by the text I made bold above?

I just checked and I always have “Inherit From Source File” turned on. I did some testing and I guess in the case of the montage, the “source file” is considered the montage file. It provides the rendered file(s) with the metadata to add.

This setting is part of the render format preset. (see attachment)
Screen Shot 2016-12-07 at 1.25.45 PM.png

I also found this “Inherit from source file” a bit confusing at first.

The source being the montage/batch processor/sample editor and not the actual audio file you’re working with.

I was always curious about this too but never had a need to test it until MrPicker asked. Maybe it’s more applicable or the term is more accurate when you are working with a single audio file that already has metadata and you want to render a new version the file but keep the existing metadata.