Presetchain or crashcourse to get always a bit louder mixdown

Hello all
I’m not sure if it’s that easy, but I just need a VST chain (or simply 1 VST?) so that my Cubase mixdown is louder.
my tracks are much quieter compared to other Soundcloud tracks and I would like to change that.
I have CubasePro 10.5 (preferred) and Pro11, as well as WaveLab Elements 9.5 - so I can use their on-board tools.

for the time being I don’t want to go deeper into mastering, I just want to have the mixdown a bit louder (please no continuous press sausage)

it would be helpful to know up to which level at mix-meter I should prepare the project.

if I have a completely impossible wish, please point it out (without jokes if possible :wink: )

I am curious and thank you in advance
The Sarge!

Translated with DeepL Translate: The world's most accurate translator (free version)

falls ihr mir in deutsch antworten wollt, dann bitte im DE-Bereich, da ist das Thema auch :wink:

Super quick and easy way of attaining louder mixes is to use a limiter. This will raise the volume across your mix, but also ensure it doesn’t clip the meters.

Add one to your final output channel, and the set the output to be the max db (i.e. -2dB or something), and then increase the input control to get the overall volume that you want.

A limiter is doing the same job as a compressor really, except you’re approaching the task with the concept of managing volume with a ‘limit’ applied so that you don’t clip the channel.

1 Like

thanks for fast answer

I´ve often read in f.e. Preset-Demos “recorded direct out of DiVA without FX, just a little Limiter”
so it was a misunderstanding from me about Limiter, maybe… :disappointed:

Or you could use a search engine to find lots of materials on this topic: mache meine mixes lauter - Google Search

@Nico5
Thanks, there’s the really helpful answer I’ve been waiting for.
you know, that’s why forums were invented, so you can just post “google is your friend” as an answer…
but I didn’t want to have umpteen answers, of which one of the YT-wannabe know-it-all’s spreading half-truths, nor answers that sound strange, but very specifically related to Cubase and if possible with it´s on-board tools or WaveLab Elements
and it sounds strange to me when tips like “here’s the one trick that makes every mix instantly louder” are given and when watching the video there is talk of per-track EQing, or other YTers suggest izotope

too bad there is no down-vote in the new forum, you would have deserved it! so in future really help me or save yourself the time of writing
on other topics from others you were at least able to help a bit more sensibly & usefully

Deutsche Version

Ich kann verstehen, dass Sie mit meinem Beitrag verärgert sind. Und irgendwie kann ich auch verstehen warum. - Aber lassen Sie mich ein anderes Licht auf meine zugrunde liegende Haltung werfen:

Mein Beitrag zeigte tatsächlich mehr Respekt für Ihre Musik als nur die einfache Antwort.

Es kann in Ordnung sein kann, nur einen Limiter auf Ihren Master-Mix zu legen - oder es kann Ihren Mix schlechter klingen lassen. Ohne ein bisschen mehr zu lernen, lassen Sie dem Zufall grossen Raum.

Und glauben Sie wirklich, dass die Qualität einer schnellen Antwort, die Sie hier erhalten, informativer ist als etwas, das von der größten Suchmaschine der Welt zumindest teilweise (wenn auch automatisch) kuratiert wird? Ich bin zwar kein Fan von Google, aber die viel größere Stichprobe von Fragen / Antworten und die automatisierte Kuration (Ranking) bieten einen viel besseren Ausgangspunkt für häufig gestellte Fragen als ein hochspezialisiertes Nischenforum, wie diesem wo Sie es mit einer viel geringeren Anzahl von Teilnehmern zu tun haben.

Der andere Grund, warum ich meine Antwort gegeben habe, ist folgender: Eine sehr allgemeine Frage zur Audiotechnik in einem Forum zu stellen, das Menschen mit detaillierten Cubase-spezifischen Problemen helfen soll, ist nicht gerade eine gute Online-Etikette. – Als Analogie: Würden Sie zu einem Kundenversammlung eines Landmaschinenherstellers gehen, in dem Details von einem bestimmtes Traktormodell das Thema sind, und da die Frage stellen: “Meine Kartoffeln sind im Vergleich zu meinen Nachbarn zu klein - wie behebe ich das?”

Wenn Sie also Ihre Musik respektieren und auf eine etwas wettbewerbsfähige Weise selbst veröffentlichen möchten, kann ich Sie nur ermutigen, ein wenig Zeit zu investieren, um ein paar Artikel darüber zu lesen, wie man Mixe lauter macht, ohne dass sie schlechter klingen, und welche Plattformen die Lautstärke automatisch anpassen. Diese Investition von Zeit kann so wenig wie ein paar Stunden Ihres Lebens sein, zahlt sich aber über Jahrzehnte aus - und hoffentlich machen Sie noch ein paar Jahrzehnte tolle Musik!

Es tut mir leid, dass ich Sie verärgert habe, aber ich hoffe auch immer noch, dass Sie sich etwas mehr Zeit nehmen, um etwas über das Mischen von Lautstärkeproblemen zu lernen.

@The_Sarge

I can understand that you’re upset with my post. And in some way I can also understand why. – But allow me to shine a different light on my underlying attitude.

My post actually showed more respect for your music than just giving you the simple answer.

Because just slapping a limiter on your master mix may be ok - or it may end up making your mix sound worse. So without learning a little more, you’re just rolling the dice if your louder mix sounds better or worse.

Do you really believe that the quality of a quick answer you get here is likely more informative than something that has at least some (albeit automatic) curation by the largest search engine on the planet? While I’m no fan of Google by any stretch of the imagination - the much larger sample size of questions/answers and automated curation (ranking) does give a much better starting point for very common questions than a highly specialized niche forum, where you’re dealing with a much smaller number of participants.

The other reason I gave the answer I did is as follows: Asking a highly general audio engineering question in a forum dedicated to helping people with detailed Cubase specific issues is not exactly great online etiquette. – As an analogy: Would you walk into a customer meeting of a farm equipment maker where they discuss technical details of their particular model of traktor and ask “My potatoes are too small compared to my neighbours - how do I fix that?”

So if you respect your music and want to self publish in a somewhat competitive way, I can only encourage you to invest a little time to read a few articles about making mixes louder without making them sound worse and also which platforms automatically adjust the volumes. This investment of time can be as little as a couple of hours of your life, but will pay dividends for decades – and hopefully you’ll be making great music for a few more decades!

So I’m sorry for having offended you, but I’m also still hoping that you’ll take just a little extra time to learn about mixing volume issues.