Presonus Faderport V2

Hi,

I am planning to buy a single fader controller and I am comparing the X-Touch One with the Faderport V2. Been searching but honestly could not find the following…

Can the F1, F2, F3 and F4 buttons of the Faderport V2 be programmed using Studio → Studio Setup… → Remote Devices → Mackie Control. There are lots of options to choose from but I’m not sure if this will work with the Faderport. Standard F1-F4 buttons are assigned to “Open Channel Visibility Configuration 1, 2, 3 and 4” but I read somewhere that even that does not work. The picture shown below is just a print screen of what is shown when you add the Mackie Control. I do not have a controller yet so it’s just a dummy picture.

So simple question… Can the F1-F4 buttons on the Faderport V2 be configured (Assigned here) and will that work?

Thanks in advance,
Blademan

It depends on the firmware version of the Faderport v2. One of the firmware updates broke this functionality. It was possible for me to downgrade the firmware and get it working again, but it did make me somewhat lose faith with the product, especially as Presonus showed very little interest in fixing the issue.
I eventually sold mine and bought an X Touch One, which has more functionality than the Faderport v2 anyway.

Thanks Djangodeadman… Thanks for your answer. Yes… I did read about that firmware issue. I believe that was over a year ago… How is the quality of the x-touch. Is that comparable to the presonus. I had some guitar pedals of behringer and they were soooo bad. Fell apart upon changing a battery in the first week. Is this x-touch any good? I compared them and only functional difference I could find was the displays.

I’m perfectly happy with the quality of construction of the X Touch One. It is plastic, compared to the metal of the Presonus, but it feels sturdy enough to me.

You get the displays on the X Touch, as you say. You also get a jog wheel, which can scrub, as well as the ability to bank through the channels in the mixer. Neither unit is capable of properly following channel selection outside of the current bank, but being able to bank through them does make it somewhat more useable. Some of the buttons on the Presonus do not have any function when used in MCU mode with Cubase, which I found irritating. The X Touch One gives you four assignable Function buttons, like the Presonus, but Behringer haven’t (yet!) crippled them with a firmware update, as Presonus did with the Faderport v2!

I found the Presonus perfectly fine to use, but I do find the Behringer to be somewhat more useful. Neither is perfect, though. I might think differently if I were a Studio One user, though, since the Presonus unit is designed to fully integrate with that.

Hi Djangodeadman… Thanks very much for taking the time and all the info… :+1::notes:

Hi Blademan,

I have seen this topic, and I wanted to ask you. Did you finally get the Faderport v2? I would like to know how it is work with Cubase. I have found an article that is a review on the Faderport v2 but it’s not clear about that.

Thanks!

Hi Luis,

Hope this mail reaches you. I returned the Faderport. Too much buttons were unused, the programmable buttons cannot be programmed in Cubase, the fader was a bit noisy and for my use the encoder was too inaccurate. For instance the encoder jumped in increments of 3 for panning. So panning 10 to the left or something was not possible. Also I did not feel comfortable with the shift thing. In the end you can perform most of the functions using the normal keyboard. The Faderport is sturdy build and looks nice. Transport buttons are good.

Hope this helps. Don’t get me wrong. It is a good device. Just not for me…

Best regards
Rinie

Verzonden vanaf mijn Galaxy

-------- Oorspronkelijk bericht --------

How did you downgrade the firmware? I just got a faderport v2. It either causes Cubase 10 pro to become unresponsive during playback (must force quit and power cycle interface) or stops working partially/ entirely.

I forget exactly what the process was, but it was Presonus customer support who told me what to do. I suggest that you open a support ticket with them. They were fairly responsive and helpful, as I recall.

1 Like

Thanks. Just did a factory reset. Hopefully the factory firmware works better with 10 than the latest version. Good so far. I’ll do as you suggest if I have further issues. Appreciate your response. :v:t3:

Sorry to butt in but I have a simple question regarding the X Touch 1.
I understand the Bank selection thing to select tracks but, working in reverse… (I have a softube console 1) if I select the track via cubase or the C1 would the X Touch select the correct track even if that would correspond to a different bank group. Example - working in track 1 then selecting (via cubase) Track 35?

I just want a fader and scrub wheel not neccassary the ability to change tracks via the X Touch.

Thanks

Has anyone worked out how to set this up with Cubase 12 (I have Elements) ? In former versions I’d use Remote Devices in Studio Setup, now it’s asking me to map everything in the new MIDI Remote Manager - I just want the same functionality as before (ie, open a project and it activates, lets me start/stop recording as my voice booth is remote from the computer.

I have the original FaderPort and it seems to work well in cubase 12. I believe that I had to download the FaderPort.dll from the presonus support website and place it with the other cubase dll files. Select the faderport as midi and make changes as indicated below. I have included samples from my setup.

1 Like

Hi, does it also work for Cubase 12 on mac ?