Previously saved .vstpresets not visible in Cubase

Hi

I recently had problem loading a third party 32bit VST instrument in 64bit Cubase 6.5.4. This instrument was bridged using jBridge and was working well for many months till one day before getting this problem.

I tried to delete (after backing it up) the Application Data folder of Cubase 64bit and tried to re-bridge those instruments. Then launched Cubase, the instruments worked normal in Cubase as before. BUT…

I am not able to load previously saved vst presets now, for all the third party plug-ins, instruments also. I tried to see in the VST presets folder for any new folders created. I also tried to save a new preset and checked in which folder did this new one stored in explorer. This new preset was saved in the same exact folder as the old vstpresets are saved and visible in explorer. Only in Cubase I cannot find all the old .vstpresets, only new ones I can see.

Can anyone please PLEASE help me if you know what I missed?

I’m in a hurry to finish a project and this is bursting my head.

The plug-ins which I’m not able to see old vstpresets are Philharmonik, SampleTank, ReWire VST, etc. This 3 are main right now for the working project and didn’t check others.

Thanks in advance.

Waiting for your help.

Regards
Anil

1 Like

Hi,

Sorry but I solved it just now immediately. Just wanted to share it here so might be useful for anyone who went through same/similar situations.

I loaded that instrument in VST rack- then from the instrument GUI clicked the presets windows or load presets (top of the instrument)- then clicked the layout button from the bottom left corner- and selected to show Location tree- then you will see the Instrument’s folder- now untick or deselect the checkbox of that folder. It will ask you to keep or delete or cancel. Select Keep. Now tick or select the check box of that same folder. Voila, All the old or previously saved presets are visible.

Let me know if anyone went though same or similar situations and did it helped?

Regards

yes i’ve seen the same behaviour but sometimes that trick doesn’t work because the Folder Tree button isn’t visible. i’m trying to save a Steinberg Gate plugin preset right now and there is no folder view available. in addition, the Current Presets window is blank, and furthermore it doesn’t even let me save, i have to cancel out. this is very buggy.

Hi

I’m sure you are missing something there. Did you back your application folder(32bit or 64bit wherever you saved presets for gate)?

If yes, then you will find a file (inside the application folder of the 32/64 whichever you used to save that prest) “InsertsFolderPresets.pxml” this is the file which saves the steinberg’s own plugin presets. And another file “VstEqPreset.pxml” for eq presets.

Try to copy the InsertsFolderPresets.pxml file from the old backup and replace it in the new application folder under Cubase’s 32 or 64 bit application folder then under presets folder.

Hope this solves. Let me know.

Regards

I get the same problem. I’ve just done a full system reinstall on a new HD and copied all my VST Presets to their previous locations in:

1] C:\Program Data\VST3 Presets
2] …\My Documents\VST3 Presets\

When I use the file manager I can see them all there. Media Bay picks up the directory locations but shows the folders as empty. When I try to load VST Presets to my plugins and/or soft synths the list is empty =80 This affects both Steinberg & third-party plugins This is very frustrating as I really need to access some of those presets for my work. Any helpful suggestions would be most welcome.

Tech note: I use Cubase 6.53

Hello Anilc!

I’ve tried your proposed solution and even when I have the Filters and Location Tree options ticked my old VST Presets remain stubbornly invisible :frowning: I saved a preset and it went into "C:\Users\My Documents\VST3 Presets". Even though I can see all my old VST Presets and the new one if I use the file manager [Windows Explorer], Cubase [both Media Bay and Plugins] does not. It can only see presets created since the new system install.

OK, what I’ve found is that If I move any VST Presets [in their folders] that I’ve previously created from "C:\Program Data\VST3 Presets" to "C:\Users\My Documents\VST3 Presets" they stand a good chance of becoming visible in Cubase. I say a ‘good chance’ because it doesn’t always work. But it’s a start… I’ll have to keep hammering away at this until I can recover and access the rest of my VST Presets.

Hello alizarin,

Did you try to uncheck the folder tree from the plugin’s preset window? When you uncheck, it must ask you if you want to delete the presets in this folder or keep. Then press keep. Next again tick the checkbox again for the same folder. Then you will get.

Did it ask you to delete or keep?

And I read somewhere that Cubase 6 will use my documents/vst presets as the default location.

And the inbuilt cubase’s plugins won’t be stored in this folder. They will be in application data folder, in a single file with .pxml extension.

I’ve tried your proposed solution and even when I have the Filters and Location Tree options ticked my old VST Presets remain stubbornly invisible

Try un-ticking Filters.

i haven’t tried your advice yet but sometimes unticking & ticking those checkboxes does the trick, sometimes not. so i wonder if it could be some kind of file latency/time delay. whatever.

I have the same problem here trying to migrate to 6.5.5 64bits, Your solution helps, it works for me.
But it still looks like a bug.

From the plugin GUI click the presets windows or load presets (top of the instrument) - then click the layout button from the bottom left corner- and select to show Location tree- then you will see the plugins folder- now untick or deselect the checkbox of that folder. It will ask you to keep or delete or cancel. Select Keep. Now tick or select the check box of that same folder. Voila, All the old or previously saved presets are visible.

EDIT: it looks like a rescan of the media>soundbrowser>usercontent folder helps…(not shure if it is a 100% solution but here it looks like the problems are solved for now.

Can’t seem to get this working with any of the advised solutions. My older files just won’t show up!

Because it’s something that was never fixed in my experience.

I hate it.

It should be simple. Save in the directory that the plugin window gives you. Close. Open presets. See preset that I just saved. Should be a no brainer.

Thanks even in 2018 I had to do the Tree thing but it worked
Nice one !
I had this problem another tme until I realised I had installed a slightly different version of VST instrument so if the versions are not EXACTLY the same that’s also another reason for the presets not to appear
In general the whole media bay , plug-in organisation etc is pretty crap for me

Ok cheers

2020 and this is still happening. I just posted a new thread about it. none of these tricks have worked for me so far.

1 Like

2021 checking in. It’s still a problem.

Ten years on, Cubase 12, same problem.

1 Like

2023 with Cubase 13 and I still have this issue, and NOTHING seems to work. Years of saving .vstprests on Falcon, and now I lost access to hundreds of my favorite presets and edits. What I find strange is that I can see the presets when you try and save a preset, but they do not show up when trying to load a preset. Mediabay show the presets, but they will not load. Will Steinberg EVER fix this issue? Do they even care? VERY UNHAPPY! :frowning:

1 Like