Printed Operational Manual

Meh, the printed manual in Cubase 5 only covered the basic stuff that didn’t really need explaining anyway. All the in-depth stuff still had to be looked up in PDF.

I’m really looking forward to checking out the tutorial videos. A great trade-off, imo.

Hello Patanjali,

That’s a great idea. I will talk to the documentation team about it.

I brought this up in another thread. I was reminded that there are tools out there that do a fairly good job of converting pdf to various formats. I used Calibre to convert the manual to MOBI. It wasn’t perfect, but it works. The big issue with the current format is that it is double column. That’s terrible for small format and searching. Anyhow, we do have options while we wait for the Borgz to catch up to 2003 :stuck_out_tongue:

Indeed that is an excellent idea, you may also consider a “Pocket Companion” reference version for smaller devices like iphones.

You’re welcome Carlos, though if JMCecil already suggested it, credit should go to him.

@JMCecil,
PDFs are designed to maintain spatial relationships regardless of what they are used on. That is why the print industry loves them, as opposed to Word docs, which are optimised for the display device (True Type by design), and thus may shift things around. If the conversion doesn’t completely rip the text away from the presentation structure so that it can freely flow, results will not be optimal. I would have thought that PDF to eBook conversion software would recognise columns and bypass them.

@Howser,

An eBook version will flow on any device that has the software for it. There are Kindle and other readers for several phones. So the full manual could even be viewed on a phone.

But a ‘Pocket Companion’ eBook would even be useful on any device, be it phone, tablet, laptop or desktop.

Publishing in the Kindle Store is very easy. You can set the price as free so that Kindle users can download it from Amazon. I think it’s a great idea.

The Cubase 5 manuals look great on my iPad using the Goodreader PDF reading app, plus you get COLOR (although I don’t know if the C6 manual is in color). I also looks reasonable good even on my iPhone. I really don’t miss paper.

Reads fine on the iPad :slight_smile:

Yeah, the PDF reading on the iPad is much better than an eBook version will ever be, even though most the eBook vendors also have iPad reading apps (Amazon, Apple, Nook, etc). EBooks tend to act weird with embedded photos, code and side notes that are included in most manuals and technical books, whereas GOOD PDF readers have more experiene in dealing with flow issues and better compensate for them.

If they put the manual on sale it would cost about $100 and be out of date in 6 months after updates and you’d maybe be a bit miffed.
How long do you read the manual for? Maybe for a couple of versions, obviously the first one you get you might read cover to cover but thereafter all most would do is index and delve particular features. PDFs are much better for the latter and are updated more often.
I don’t kow how many manuals they have laying about in unsold boxes in their warehouses but it could be an idea to sell those off cheap to those who need them for basic or first-time use.

I’ve been using this software for years, I know how most of it works, the things I don’t know are in the PDFs, that’s good enough for me, as for reading on the bog, that’s what Sound-on-Sound is for.

And SEARCHABLE!

While you talk to the documentation team, please also ask them to make the PDF home printable. Meaning that it is now made up of pages of 190 x 228 mm which leaves a lot of unused space on a standard A4 page. As we don’t get the paper book form anymore, leave the paper book size. If we print we can only use the printable standard, either on a home printer or a print shop.

Also, I would like an ebook format, but please not just Kindle. The de facto and open source standard in Europe is .epub with .mobi as a good second. Much better indeed than trying to work through a .pdf, even if your reader can reflow…

Luck, Arjan

I understand and agree. We had already had a long thread about this. I just was pointing out that while we wait for actual eVersions of the doc, there are alternatives. I was able to convert to Mobi. It was fairly successful. I could tweak the conversion params and probably get a better job.

But, in no way was I saying we don’t need the e-version.

Not a bad idea to support e-readers.

If there was an alternative to the PDF as has been pointed out (printing issues) that would really show that Steinberg aren’t the arrogant empire that they are often made out to be.

Oh, COME ON!!! :laughing:

If you don’t understand that Steinberg has to cut the expenses then don’t upgrade then! I bought the upgrade, printed out the manual and am happy about it. At least Steinberg’s not saving from the resources they put on the development work.

Well, I’m sure Steny won’t go bankrupt whether or not you upgrade it or not :slight_smile:

+1

It always amazes me how little some folk care about the environment. The manual becomes outdated so quickly anyway i don’t see the point.

Carey

• 1 for burying the physical manual

Now if Steinberg can crush remaining optical media that would be great :sunglasses:

Sorry that not everyone thinks the same as you but do you really have to leap in with sarcastic comments. Grow up a little and drop the sarcasm. Thanks.

Main reason for not having printed manuals any more is the environment. Taking into account that the big majority are happy with digital documentation it does not make any sense to fly thousands and thousands of kilo/pounds of paper thru the air and in addition killing trees for that.
The manuals have to be written anyway (so no cost saving on that site) and everybody who was involved into producing two hours of HD Video tutorials with subtitles in several languages, will confirm that this is also very cost intensive.