Pro Tools Shortcuts - Trim Start, Trim End, Fade From Start

I am sure this is posted somewhere in this forum but couldn’t find it. Is there a shortcut in Cubase like Pro Tools has for Trim Start, Trim End, Fade From Start, Fade to End? Or a macro that anyone has made? These are such regular functions for editing and fall so nicely in the left hand while using the mouse.
Pro Tools Shortcuts.jpg

Adjust Fades to Range
Fade in to Cursor
Fade Out to Cursor

All in the Audio menu. These should help. You can assign key commands to them in the key commands window.

To trim an event just make a range selection and hit delete, or maybe use Alt + left/right and Alt + Shift + left/right (these nudge start and end of events according to the currently set value in the grid type menu)

I don’t think you really need a left hand key for that in Cubase: With moving the lower corners of the audio event you trim, with moving the upper ones you fade. You can assign keys for special duties, for example I have one when I want to change trimming to time stretch mode.

Thanks I was able to make this pretty close to Pro Tools with a macro Transport - Locate Selection and Audio - Fade Fade In to Cursor (and the same for fade out).

I use the alt left and right but I can’t think of a way to use them to go to the current selection location to trim to start or end.

Here is the closest thing I could come up with but it is not full-proof (foolproof) in that you have to have Auto Select Events under Cursor on in preferences or it will not work. If there was a way to have it select next region after using the range select that would be much more constant in function and wouldn’t depend on Preference - Turn on Auto Select Events Under Cursor.

First:
Preference - Turn on Auto Select Events Under Cursor
Tool - Make single selection with range tool (not a range selection)

Macro Pro Tools - Trim Start

1. Transport - Locate Selection
  2. Edit - Split Range
  3. Tool - Object Selection (Select Tool in key commands)
  4. Transport - Nudge -1 Frame (better to nudge one sample backwards but no dedicate command to that. Fine edits smaller than a frame when zoomed in will not work with this macro)[/list]

Delay commands needed here since Cubase executes them fast than the app can keep up with (cubase AI8 can't find Groove Agent One - Cubase - Steinberg Forums)

1. Edit - Delete
  2. Transport - Locate Selection (Can’t use Transport - Nudge +1 Frame because you will likely make edit in middle of frame and this jumps to nearest frame forward and back regardless if snap is on)
  3. Tool - Range Selection (Range Tool in key commands. If this is set before deleting you will loose your selection)

Macro Pro Tools - Trim End
  4. Transport - Locate Selection
  5. Edit - Split Range
  6. Tool - Object Selection (Select Tool in key commands)
  7. Transport - Nudge +1 Frame (better to nudge one sample backwards but no dedicate command to that. Fine edits smaller than a frame when zoomed in will not work with this macro)[/list]

Delay commands needed here since Cubase executes them fast than the app can keep up with (cubase AI8 can't find Groove Agent One - Cubase - Steinberg Forums)

1. Transport - Locate Selection (Can’t use Transport - Nudge -1 Frame because you will likely make edit in middle of frame and this jumps to nearest frame forward and back regardless if snap is on. This goes before delete so it doesn’t jump to the next region.)
  2. Edit - Delete
  3. Tool - Range Selection (Range Tool in key commands. If this is set before deleting you will loose your selection)

Thankfully this works regardless of whether or not you have “Transport - Return to Start Position on Stop” preference turned on or off.

Thanks for the tip on the range selection that is actually what I have been doing or using it just is a bother when the region is off screen. I’ll also use the Object Selection tool and grab the lower corner handle but same issue for me there. In Pro Tools of course you can do the same for both with the smart tool.

As you may know Pro Tools has that as well just the extra benefit of select where you want and trim to that location.

How did you assign a key to change trimming to time stretch mode?! I am so glad you mentioned that because I have been looking for that for a while now! The only thing I have seen is pressing 1 multiple times toggles you through them which I am not a fan of when I need it to be locked. Pro Tools thankfully added Edit/Tool Mode Keyboard Lock which only lets you get to the other tools when you press them with the mouse and not the shortcuts which is such a boon!

Hi Skillet,
I may have slightly misunderstood your original post and I have not had time to test your macros but, if you are looking to simply cut the head and tail of audio events according to cursor position, the following macros will do it:

Cut Tail:
Edit - Split at Cursor
Edit - Delete

Cut Head:
Edit - Split at Cursor
Navigate - Left
Edit - Delete

Just tested the trim commands in Slow Tools and I think you will find that these macros do exactly the same. Of course, you can put a key command on them. To cut both the head and the tail simultaneously you could use Edit / Range / Crop.

P.S. Nuendo has dedicated cut head / tail commands but using the above macros works just as well for routine editing in Cubase.

Thanks stingray, I am probably doing something wrong but I just tried both of these just to double check and neither worked for me because the region doesn’t get highlighted after being selected. Are you starting with the range selection tool or doing multiple clicks with the Object select tool (first track or region and then timeline click). Eitherway I am not getting that to work for me.

I was just lamenting yesterday about the fact that Nuendo has this and Cubase doesn’t. I switch back and forth between the two at the studio. Cubase has been cheaper to update and has the nice new features first hens the two.

For the macros to work you have to select the event in the project window using the Object Select Tool and then place the cursor at the desired position (within the range of the event). Then just execute the macro. Works every time here with no issues.

Thanks I thought it was something like that. The shortcut I had makes it a little more like Cut Head and Cut Tail in Nuendo which has been there at least since Nuendo 4 and works just like Pro Tools Trim Start and Trim End. I just single click with the range selection tool (no range selection but single selection) and the playhead doesn’t need to be moved and you never manually switch to the Object selection tool (the macro does that for you).

Just trying to remove the amount of clicks mass edits take. Strange things like this don’t make it to Cubase, I wonder how they pick and choose.

Yes, this is EXTREMELY annoying. These two functions are deliberately removed from Cubase and I believe it is just to annoy us so we consider purchasing Nuendo. The functions can be achieved with macros but this doesn’t always work and it has resulted in clips being deleted off of my timeline etc. I would brand the decision to leave these two important functions out of cubase as just plain stupid and mean-spirited.

How did you assign a key command to just one of the three arrow tools? I would love to have a command that guarantees no matter how many times I press the command it is always “Normal Sizing”.