Problem restoring Dorico for iPad purchase made via Family Sharing

I was so excited to try out Dorico for iPad that I actually ordered it (and purchased a year subscription) on one of the iPads of one of my family member’s Family Sharing account while I ordered a new iPad and waited for it to come. I presumed that once I got my own, I could simply download something purchased by the shared account and then click “Restore Purchase” when prompted to subscribe, from within Dorico for iPad. However, now that my new iPad has arrived I just tried this, but when I click “Restore Purchase”, nothing happens. Is it possible to share a subscription with another Family Sharing member? If not, can I cancel the original subscription so I can re-purchase it on my new iPad? Thanks for any help.

• D.D.

I don’t know if this is restricted just to the EU or to one-off purchases, but I think you can return a purchase at Apple if no more than 14 days have elapsed.

I think that Family Sharing is something to be enabled by the developer.

Thanks - I went ahead (based on your suggestion) to request a refund via http://reportaproblem.apple.com so hopefully will be resolved soon.

It could be useful for Dorico to clarify whether subscriptions can be shared via Family Sharing on iOS.

Best!

• D.D.

According to the App Store page for Dorico, it supports Family Sharing.

The purchase of the app (which is free) is shared. But not necessarily the subscriptions.

Perhaps Daniel can clarify just for future reference (though I’ll likely get my refund for the original purchase and have re-bought a year’s subscription on my new iPad Pro)…

• D.D.

I can confirm that at the moment in-app purchase subscriptions for Dorico for iPad are not enabled for Family Sharing, but this is certainly something we could consider for the future.

1 Like

Seems unlikely multiple people in the same household would be serious Dorico for iPad users meaning it might be safe to consider allowing this. Until then you might want to make it clearer somehow that Family Sharing of your subscription isn’t allowed (just my two cents) - I had presumed it might be.
Best -

• D.D.
1 Like

This seems very likely to be true. My wife has a much better iPad than I do (12.9" Pro), so I’d love to try it out on hers. There is a 0% chance we would ever both be using it at the same time, LOL.

2 Likes

Since my wife and I are both teachers at a music school we’d really appreciate family sharing. Unfortunately we still have to work with our private devices if we want to use „new media“. So any software we need is also privately purchased. I know it’s nothing you should worry about but it still would be a nice gesture.
At least until we get work devices which are expected to come in the next few years.

1 Like

Thanks for the additional feedback, @HerrDerToene. We are certainly keeping this under review.

1 Like

I believe full family sharing was just enabled. I received a pop up from the App Store asking me if I wanted to enable it, and showing my subscription level.

2 Likes

Yes, we have enabled this in advance of the release of the next update of Dorico for iPad, which is coming soon (subject to App Store approval, etc.).

2 Likes