Problem Setting up Roland TB3

Hello,

I could need some of your help. I got myself my first hardware synth, Roland TB-3 and I have some problems setting it up.

1. How can I send MIDI data from Cubase Sequencer to TB3, for example If I draw midi notes manually or want to use VST sequencer, like Kirnu, to control TB3?

2. How can I use Extrenal Instrument Inputs and record at the same time?

Now when I switch to External Instrument Inputs, my Stereo In - inputs are disabled, and vice versa.

I made a private video, you can see what I have been able to do. But I have seen videos where TB3 is fully controlled by DAW, but I have no idea how to do it.

I hope you can help me.

Hi,

The Stereo In is set to Not Connected, therefore you don’t get any signal from Stereo In.

You can use the Instrument track for TB-3 when working on the project. Once you would would export it to final WAV (Export Audio Mixdown), you would export it in real time. The TB-3 signal would be recorded to the mixdown.

Yes. I finally managed to get some sound when I play with On-Screen Keyboard. I had the wrong midi channel selected. I had midi channel 1, as it’s supposed to be 2. Also I noticed that I cannot send and receive midi-note data at the same time to the instrument and from the instrument. That gave me some very interesting sounds from the TB-3 while trying to record. I guess I just need to manually disable any midi sends when recording?

What I mean is I have when I was recording:

MIDI IN: TB-3
MIDI OUT: TB-3

So that creates a conflict. As I turned on sequencer from TB3, that sent data to Cubase, and Cubase sends that data back to TB3. At least that is something I was experiencing. I got double notes and all kinds of funny behaviour. So I guess I need to disable Midi Out while recording. Well,

I am learning. This is my first hardware gear so this is very different from VSTs…much harder unfortunately :laughing:

Anyway, I keep on fiddling with the settings. I learn as I go. At least I got some sound out of it.

Hi,

Set Local Control Off at your TB-3.

At this moment, you send the MIDI data from the TB-3 keyboard to the internal synth engine (thanks to Local Control On) and also to Cubase and from Cubase back to TB-3. So the sound is doubled in TB-3.

Well, I have not tried that yet! Can I still play TB3 with my cubase if I set Local Control Off? Gotta try that! Thanks!

Hi,

Definitely. By Local Control Off you disconnect TB-3 keyboard from its sound engine. So you will not send the MIDI data from TB-3 to the synth directly, you will send it thru Cubase.

I see!

Do you have any tips how to stop TB-3 step sequencer starting every time I press “play” on Cubase Transport menu? So far I’ve always disconnected the external sync - It’s quite a hassle to do it everytime. Like In my arturia keystep, there is “armed” function. So It does not start the sequencer unless I press play on the keyboard as well. But TB3 starts running every time.

Do you know if there is any such funtion or how it could be done in TB-3?

Hi,

Sorry, I don’t know TB-3 at all.

That’s Ok. But now I tried what you suggested and turned off Local Control. And you know what? No more funny behaviour and now I can even easily render audio in place :slight_smile: And thanks to Cubase 11 and improved midi CC “automation”, It’s so easy so do nice smooth filters etc.

Thank you so much for the help!