Problem with ANY Steinberg installer - Installer window disappears

Hi everyone, I’ve just purchased Cubase Pro 12 as I wanted to update my Pro 10.0.6 so I downloaded all the apps and stuff but apparently nothing’s working!
I’ll be more specific. I downloaded Pro 12 first and the Download Assistant didn’t install it automatically. I tried doing it myself but the actual installer starts and then it disappears completely. I managed to install it anyway with the actual individual installer and it went fine. The only problem then was that none of the updates for Retrologue, Groove Agent, etc installers were working, so I thought I would try to remove them first but still no luck. I run all the Microsoft troubleshooting software but still the same issue.
I downloaded again Pro 10 and its update 10.0.60 and it seems their installers are not working either so now I’m stuck. No Pro 12 or at least no full Pro 12 and I can’t install anything else. Can you please help? I’m stuck

Welcome to the forum.

This is likely caused by a damaged Windows registry. This could have been caused by a virus or an overly eager clean-up app (CCleaner, etc…).

The simplest way to fix this is to perform a clean Windows reinstall. If you would like to avoid having to do that, you can try performing a “deep” uninstall of all Steinberg products by using a third party uninstaller such as Revo Uninstaller or Advanced Uninstaller. They provide options to delete the registry keys and leftover files associated with the programs.

Once you’re done, run the latest version of the Steinberg Download Assistant. It should automatically install the eLicenser Control Center, Steinberg Library Manager, and Steinberg Activation Manager.

Guys,
You have to be kidding. Immediately, the client is blamed for having a faulty computer. After all the client has suffered so far, he/she will now go to a huge amount of work and possibly extra expense to troubleshoot this?
I have a completely rebuilt and robust Windows computer and I am in appoximately the same boat, i.e. using your alternate download site to manually install my Cubase upgrade after having gone through it all for the initial version purchase.
Why has your installation gone so badly?

Dont get me wrong, I love this product ! it is just very disappointing after the humiliating process of buying the product, to find that you need major computer experience to install it.

Hi Shadesrock99.
Did you solve your problem? I’m asking, not to offer any advice because I probably know less than you, but I’m just about to start the process of upgrading Cubase 12 myself and I’m just trolling around to see what problems might occur. I hope you got sorted!

The client is not being blamed. If there’s something wrong on the machine, there is really no way around doing some troubleshooting. @Romantique_Tp spoke correctly, and gave some basic info on how to proceed. He and many others are willing to help do that, as you can see by browsing a bit here on the forum.

This is probably not the best way to get an overview, since posts about problems people are having will be posted, and problems people aren’t having aren’t posted.

Just install the software.

1 Like

Hi,
My biggest problem is the installer. It just seems to fail by default, leaving me with no choice but to install all the features manuall fro their FTP site. I’m sure some of it was left behind - just too laborious.
In the end, things seem to be working ok (upgraded to Artist) but if you can believe it, they actually don’t provide any Latin drum or percussion. Yup! You have to upgrade to Oro for that. Does it warn you of that anywhere in the documentation?
I’ve had to go out and assemble my own library of latin beats.
I like Cubase but Steinberg goes to such extremes trying to lock down their security it becomes a real bad experience.

@danmccaughern

Hi Shadesrock99.
Did you solve your problem? I’m asking, not to offer any advice because I probably know less than you, but I’m just about to start the process of upgrading Cubase 12 myself and I’m just trolling around to see what problems might occur. I hope you got sorted!

Like I mentioned earlier, if you ran into the same issue mentioned in the first post (the installer starts and then it disappears), that’s caused by third party software deleting things that they shouldn’t. This really has nothing to do with Steinberg’s licensing systems or security, as you don’t need to have a license to install their software and the .exe installers can be extracted manually by using either 7zip or WinRAR.

You also don’t need to use the FTP site. While using the Steinberg Download Assistant is strongly recommended, you can download all of the included content from Steinberg’s Downloads page. Here’s a link to the Cubase 12 downloads:

Cubase 12 Updates and Downloads | Steinberg

I’m using Cubase pro 12, I’m not sure if I have Latin percussion. The drum kit names are confusing to me… I haven’t bit the bullet and tried to update yet! I’m a bit nervous in case something that did work -won’t!

Thanks again Romantique_tp

I eventually solved the problem by formatting my PC and reinstalling everything back again :slight_smile: definitely not ideal but at least it worked.

Hahaha. Yes that was exactly my feeling and yes, it was another round of frustration. I probably should have bought Pro to begin with but it’s not really necessary (as I understand it) unless you plan to run a pro studio and record/monitor multiple musicians and need a pile of sounds. I’m going to spend the difference in price on a better mastering suite like Izotope Ozone (even better ones for more $$$). My studio is only intended for one or two musicians.
To be fair, Cubase Pro has a good set of tools for mastering but the new AI features offered these days Dave a lot of time.

@danmccaughern
I’m using Cubase pro 12, I’m not sure if I have Latin percussion. The drum kit names are confusing to me… I haven’t bit the bullet and tried to update yet! I’m a bit nervous in case something that did work -won’t!

Thanks for that but Cubase download assistant did not work for me either with Elements or Artist. It just redirected me to an alternate download site. Don’t get me wrong. I chose Cubase because I really enjoy the workflow and functionality. It is just such a bad trip going through all of the security measures only to see the install fail and have to manually install. This was on a fresh (updated) install of Windows and I took down my antivirus thinking it might be interfering. But nothing helped.
I’m up and running now with at least most of Artist installed and hoping I don’t have to re-install at some point.

@Romantique_Tp
Like I mentioned earlier, if you ran into the same issue mentioned in the first post (the installer starts and then it disappears), that’s caused by third party software deleting things that they shouldn’t. This really has nothing to do with Steinberg’s licensing systems or security, as you don’t need to have a license to install their software and the .exe installers can be extracted manually by using either 7zip or WinRAR.

You also don’t need to use the FTP site. While using the Steinberg Download Assistant is strongly recommended, you can download all of the included content from Steinberg’s Downloads page. Here’s a link to the Cubase 12 downloads:

Cubase 12 Updates and Downloads | Steinberg

You won’t have to reinstall anything if you’re using the trial version, since the only difference between it and the paid version is the license.

In other words, if everything is working fine right now, it will continue to work exactly the same if you decide to purchase the upgrade.

Ozone is a great tool.
I’ve tried some of the AI ones out there and have been less than impressed. I don’t consider myself an engineer and I think that this is a bit of a problem for a lot of us. Basically I’d love someone to come in and record and mix my work (Giles Martin maybe?:joy:)
The face that Cubase does a great job as a composing tool is the reason I bought it. I totally respect the guys who have done degrees in sound engineering plus years of pro work and all I can do is listen with my years of gigging ears and try to learn which frequency (which I can’t hear) may be a problem! Obviously the presets are really handy but I’m never going to be really confident of my engineering skills!

This topic was about installers not working correctly, and not a general discussion about plugins. So I’ll close this one.

If you want to continue the subject of plugins/content, please quote your post in a new topic, and be sure to have a look at the Forum Guide so you know how to mention other users and how to tag posts.