Problem with Dorico displaying different accidentals between parts and full score

Hi, I have a score that has a few issues with some enharmonics. If i go into the part view of the instrument and correct the issue it is not being translated to the full score. Is this supposed to happen?
(Ie, I have a double sharp that I change in part view, and then it is still there in the full score…or a note i’ve change to a flat in the part view is still showing as a sharp in the full score). Thanks.

This is as designed. Enharmonic changes you make in the score will carry through to parts. Enharmonic changes you make in parts will not carry through to scores. This is in order to facilitate situations in which enharmonic spelling needs to differ, particularly if you have a transposing instrument and a C score.

Ah I see. Thanks for getting back to me. Im assuming that there is no way to turn that feature on and off? I can correct them in the full score view, but it’s easier to see them in part mode. Thanks.

What would happen if your created a temporary Score Layout (separate from any Part Layout) and added one instrument to it at a time to proof-read for enharmonic corrections needed?

1 Like

Just tried it and, yes, that seems to be a good workaround. Thanks

It’s a shame Dorico seems to default to automatically putting in weird enharmonic choices (double sharps, B sharps, etc) when importing from a MIDI file. I seem to spend more time correcting enharmonics than anything else. I never had this issue with Sibelius. I might try the MusicXML export in cubase on the next track I’m working on. Quite why it decides that I want a load of double sharps, D#'s and B#'s, when the keysignature is Eb is totally beyond me!:slight_smile:

Since MIDI uses MIDI note numbers rather than flats or sharps, you should definitely try exporting XML.

Yes, I definitly will next. I’ve recently switched from Sibelius, and Sibelius made much more logical choices than Dorico seems to with regards to the enharmonic choices and I rarely had to correct more than a few notes. Hopefully the XML export will work better, or I think I might have to revert to Sibelius, which would be a shame as I rather like the interfae of Dorico.

If you have Dorico 3.5 (and possibly v3, I can’t remember off the top of my head when this was added) you can use the Transpose dialog to remove double accidentals by transposing to unison, but check the box that says “avoid double or triple accidentals” - at least iirc that should work, or has been suggested by others before.

1 Like

Oh great, I didnt know that. Yes, I have 3.5. I’ll try that. Thanks. I’ve spent hours correcting them! :roll_eyes:

That works perfectly. Thank you - you have just saved me hours of work!!! I wish I had known that sooner. My day would have been a lot more pleasureable:)

1 Like

We all learn something for the first time, sometime. Perhaps think of it as hours saved for every future project :slight_smile: glad it works!

Yes, we certainly do. Thanks for the help.

Shame it doesn’t help with the B sharps though;)

You can filter-select all B# and change them to C in one shot.

1 Like

ah ok. i’ll try that one. thanks. i’m learning a lot today:)