Problem with sffz playback

Hi, I encounter a problem.
In VSL horns there are separate patches for sforzato (sfz) and sforzatissimo (sffz).
In Expression maps I can address the sign sfz to the sforzato patch, no problem.
But if I try to address sffz to the VSL sforzatissimo patch, Dorico plays the sforzato patch a little louder.
I can’t get this right.
I made in Playback Playing Techniques in the dynamics a sffz sign (there is no one there by default) by duplicating the sfz sign and changed it to sffz.
That didn’t work, so I deleted that sign on that place.
I see the sffz sign in the “edit music symbols…” section, but I can’t do there anything to adress the sffz sign there.

My question: is it possible to address the sffz sign to a different patch as the sfz patch?
Thanks for any help!

I"ve got the same problem. It seems that only sfz works. The combined dynamics like fp are also not working. I don’t see them in the playback lane (play tab) when assigning to a note.

For triggering a specific playing technique, only sforzando (i.e. sfz) is currently supported. Combined dynamics do not trigger playing techniques. However, both combined dynamics and force dynamics do affect the overall dynamic profile and you will find them in the dynamics lane in Play mode.

Any updates on this? I need to trigger fp- and sffz-samples…

No, there have been no changes to the way dynamics trigger playback techniques. You should be able to use playing techniques tied to custom playback techniques to achieve the results you’re after.

If you want to avoid the unwanted internal volume adjustment you can create a custom Playing Technique and Playback Technique, mate them, and add it to an assigned Expression Map. This will point you to the correct Synchron Player slot without triggering any internally controlled adjustment. I have created a custom “sffz” setup.

I haven’t really tested it much because the occasion hasn’t arisen, but in theory it should work fine.

I have used this and can confirm that this works excellent!

1 Like