Problem with the UIDESC file

Hello!

Im trying to create both a vst3 plugin and a standalone application by using the same UIDESC file so I can reuse the gui. Is that something that is possible? I have a hard time making it work.
Scenario 1:
I create a blank new vst3 plugin with the vst3projectgenerator.
I build and run my plugin and it creates an empty black window.
I open the wysiwyg editor and just puts a label in the center with title “Hello Plugin”.
Everytime I build and run my plugin it displays it correctly with the label in the center.
I switch out the uidesc file (Window.uidesc) in the simple_standalone application to my uidesc file that has the centered label but the label ("Hello Plugin) is not displayed when running as a standalone. If I open the wysiwyg editor from the standalone application, the label is displayed inside the editor, but as soon as I close the editor the label is not displayed.

Scenario2:
I use the Window.uidesc file that is working in the simple_standalone application that displays the label “Hello World”. If I use that uidesc file in my vst3 plugin, the label is not displayed in the plugin. But if I open the wysiwyg editor from the plugin the label is displayed inside the editor, but as soon as I close the editor the label is not displayed anymore.

Should a window that i displayed in a standalone application and vst3 plugin be compatible using the same uidesc file? I have a hard time understanding why my label are not displayed depending on how I create the uidesc file.

I’m afraid, this is not supported and will not work.

I actually got it to work by changing these lines in the code:

Standalone application:
config.viewName = “view”;

Vst3 plugin:
auto* view = new VSTGUI::VST3Editor (this, “view”, “MyUI.uidesc”);

If they both have viewName of “view” it works :slight_smile:
The standalone application had it set to “Window” at first. And then the template name in the uidesc-file also has to be “view”.

This may work, but the deeper integration like parameter binding will not work .