Problems opening projects on new iMac

Hi all,
My old iMac’s GPU died on me a few months back and a repair didn’t work out so I took the bank busting decision :open_mouth: to order one of the new iMacs recently released, see spec below.

27-inch iMac with Retina 5K display
3.6GHz 8-core 9th-generation Intel Core i9 processor,
Turbo Boost up to 5.0GHz
40GB 2666MHz DDR4 memory
512GB SSD storage
Radeon Pro 580X with 8GB of GDDR5 memory
External 1TB SSD Thunderbolt Drive

I have a few questions if you’ll humour me…

With ‘only’ a 512BG internal SSD drive I decided to do a clean install rather than using Migration Assistant (my old HDD wouldn’t all fit anyway), so I downloaded the latest version of C9 Pro and tried to open a couple of projects. However while all the virtual instruments seemed to load fine a couple of audio tracks were missing… so I searched and ‘found’ them, at least I thought I did, and project loaded ok but playback is not as expected i.e different audio playing where it shouldn’t. I had backed up most of my projects recently using the Cubase feature to gather all the projects’ files together so I just assumed all the files would be collected. I must confess that my naming structure isn’t all it should be and many files are named the same (Audio_04 e.t.c) but surely the back up sorts this? Now I’m at a loss as to why this is happening. Only tried two projects but neither are right. The old iMac wont load up any more so I can’t go back to that…

Any help would be much appreciated.

On a separate note I’m looking for advice on an audio interface to replace my ageing Apogee Duet (FW400).
Recording Bass, guitar and vocals solo so don’t need a lot of I/O but latency is a factor so any help is much appreciated.
I think thunderbolt is the way to go with an eye on the future but am open to all suggestions.

Thanks a million
J

Anyone?

Just an update on this in case anyone has the same issue.
With no solutions to hand, I decided to migrate my old iMac’s back up onto my 1TB external SSD to see
if there were any issues opening from there. Thankfully all migrated ok, albeit with a good bit of tidying up
of old programs which will no longer work on Mojave, and crucially my projects were opening and playing as expected.
I’m guessing there were support files which were needed to enable correct playback.
So, I’m booting from the external for the moment and using it as my main drive, kinda makes me think
why did I pay extra for an internal SSD now…

Would this be a solid solution going forward or should I try to ‘back up’ projects to the internal drive?

Also am still on the hunt for advice on an audio interface to replace my ageing Apogee Duet (FW400).
Recording Bass, guitar and vocals solo so don’t need a lot of I/O but latency is a factor so any help is much appreciated.
I think thunderbolt is the way to go with an eye on the future but am open to all suggestions.

Cheers
J