Problems using Yamaha n8 with Cubase 6

I am running Cubase 6 on windows 7 64 bit with a Yamaha n8 and have installed Yamaha Steinberg FW driver (v1.6.0) and other bits from [Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver + n Extension] TOOLS for n Version2 (V2.6.0) for Windows 7 / Vista (SP1 or later) 64bit. I have also installed n8 and iee1394 updates and device manager shows Yamaha n series and Yamaha Steinberg fw bus and shows no issue with either.

Using sweet spot data manager I can communicate with the n8 to update the sweet spot (can see lights flash while updating), however when running Cubase the Cubase ready light will not come on. When trying to create a new project (n8/n12 projects show up on Cubase) it comes up with a box titled “missing ports” showing “n8 direct out 1”,2,3,4 and “n8 input 1”,2,3,4 and labels them all “unmapped”.

In device set up when trying to change the asio driver under vst audio system to Yamaha Steinberg fw asio it comes up with message “device could not be opened”. Also, when clicking on the Yamaha Steinberg fw driver icon, the general tab shows all the options greyed out with the exception of “reset device number”.

Any help to get the n8 and Cubase working together would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Tom.

Am I missing something simple?

Advised to go to Cubase device drop down, can see Yamaha driver but when selected message says ‘can’t open driver’ - frustrated!

My N8 would sometimes show as unavailable, or would record with drop outs, in Cubase 5.5.3.

Contacted Yamaha support who suggested “set the IEEE1394 Buffer Size to Large using ysfwutility.exe contained in the installer file to see if this helps.” It worked for me, and now have the buffer set to medium with it working with no problems.

Thanks Dean. Have increased buffer but no joy!

Try support_uk@inquiry.yamaha.com

Telephone UK 0844 811 1116

Republic Of Ireland - (0) 15262449

Monday - Thursday - 9.00 - 17.00
Friday - 09.00 - 16.30

Give them as many details of your hardware, patch levels etc. as you can.

Good luck!

Thanks for your help Dean, much appreciated.

Regards, Tom

No problem Tom. There’s also a good N8/N12 forum on gearslutz.com, under “so much gear so little time”

I found Yamaha support very responsive, but if you have no joy, you might want to try there.

Aloha, find it here:

HTH
{‘-’}

I recently purchased an N8 on ebay and it’s displaying the same behavior. Did you eve find a fix for it? Thanks!

Jamie

1 Like