Problems with Cubase 6.02 and Tascam FW1884

Hello,
i have some problems with my Tascam FW1884 (audio interface and digital over firewire) and cubase 6.02.
I use the newest driver from Tascam v1.80 and the newest frimwre v1.83. I can control cubase over the Tascam (Mackie emulation). The problem is the audio signal. The signal is not stabil. Every 5 seconds the signal gets away for about 0,5 seconds. I tried the Tascam driver v1.60 but it doesn´t get better. Older drivers don´t run under Windows 7.
The Tascam is ok. I use it with my older notebook with Windows XP and everything runs fine.
I have no idea, what can solve problem. Is it the firewire driver? Asio driver? Do somebody have an idea?

My configuration:
Computer: Dell Notebook Vostro 3700
Processor: Intel i3
Ram: 2GB
Operatingsystem: Windows 7 Home Premium 32Bit
Software: Cubase 6.02
Tascam driverr: v1.80
Tascam firmware: v1.83
Firewire driver: OHCI.konformer Ricoh 1394-Hostcontroller 6.1.7600.16440

The driver was designed for XP and not Vista/W7.

Go into device manager and select “legacy firewire driver” for your firewire port, Win 7 sometimes requires this or it could be the Ricoh chipset, tascam stuff is happier with a Texas instruments chipset.

I had a Tascam 1884 but don’t have any longer, as they are really slow to update issues(I miss it though it was a great audio interface) I am glad to hear it works w/Win 7 64 bit now…here is method to change to legacy driver
1- Click the Start Button, type devmgmt.msc in the “Start Search” box and press Enter.
2- Expand the “IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers” in the device tree on the right hand pane
3- Right click the host controller node select “Update driver software …”
4- Select “Browse my computer for driver software” then
5- Select “let me pick from a list of device driver on my computer …” and Check the box before “Show compatible hardware”.
6. Choose the second option—1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy), and click next to update the driver.
Let us know if works properly I might want to switch back to the Tascam
Kenny

A guy in ebay actually said it is “flakey” in W7 and I accept that since I had a G044 and it was such that I believe the driver was only made compatible insofar as the installer is concerned but not the software elements themselves.

On XP it will work, but there is a standalone mode which makes it an interesting interface of sorts.

GL

Thanks for all your tips.

I read a lot about FW1884 and Win 7 in the last days.

The driver 1.80 is designed for Win 7 (32bit and 64bit) and on many configurations int runs fine.

I think my problem is the ricoh chipset of the 1394 firewire card.

@crofter and kzarider: i tried the legacy IEEE 1394 Bus Host Controllers, but it didn´t solve the problem.

The next i will try is a pcimcia firewire card with Texas Instruments chipset. If that will work, i let you know. It will take some days till i get the device.

wbr
Stefan

I use a Belkin pcmcia card with my Tascam FW-1804, has a TI chip,works well.

OK,

the problem is solved. I got my new firewire card with TI chipset an everything is running fine.

Thanks for all the information here.

wbr
Stefan

Glad to hear its working…I loved the 1884 when I was using, might switch back from the Firestudio 2626 and the Motu 828MK2. Miss the nobs lol