Problems with Sustain in one Oktave

Hello all,

I am an absolute beginner with Cubase and need a tip, I do not get on here unfortunately alone.

I have Cubase 12 Pro with a MOTU M4 audio interface and a SL88 Grand from Studiologic, at the SL88 is still a pedal connected SLP-3D. Everything is installed on a MacBook Pro M1. Actually everything works fine except for the following: 6 notes beginning from E5 up, the sustain function is active without me pressing the pedal to it. I tried it with a piano from NI Komlete Kontrol 13, but also with the Cubase own VSTs this is so.

With the midi monitor I checked what is transmitted, there come only the key-on and off signals. Sustain only comes when I also press the pedal.

Does anyone have an idea what is wrong here?

Thanks in advance!
Christoph

Hallo zusammen,

ich bin mit Cubase absoluter Beginner und brauche mal einen Tipp, ich komme hier leider nicht alleine weiter.

Ich habe Cubase 12 Pro mit einem MOTU M4 Audio Interface und einem SL88 Grand von Studiologic, am SL88 ist noch ein Pedal angeschlossen SLP-3D. Installiert ist alles auf einem MacBook Pro M1. Eigentlich funktioniert alles gut bis auf folgendes: Etwa 6 Töne ab E5 aufwärts ist die Sustain Funktion aktiv ohne das ich das Pedal dazu drücke. Ich habe es mit einem Klavier von NI Komlete Kontrol 13 ausprobiert, aber auch bei den Cubase eigenen VSTs ist das so.

Über den Midi-Monitor habe ich mal nachgeschaut was übertragen wird, da kommen nur die Key-On und Off Signale. Sustain kommt nur wenn ich auch das Pedal drücke.

Hat jemand eine Idee was hier nicht richtig ist?

Vielen Dank im Voraus!
Christoph

Hi @ChrisKon

Do you play piano? The highest notes on a piano don’t have dampers and sustain both with and without pressing sustain pedal.

So what you experience may be normal behavior. If the vst instruments try to replicate the real thing.

Hi misohoza,

thanks for your reply. Yes i play piano. i dont mean the highest note.

If you play notes on the keyboard without sustain, you get the Note with sustain at the fivth octave beginnig with the note E5. So, if i play a note like C3 with or without sustain ist works fine. But if you play notes between E5 and C6 without press the sustain pedal, you hear a sustain with the note.

Hi Christoph,

I agree with @misohoza. This is probably intended behavior of your piano VSTs because they replicate the properties of real pianos. There are no dampers attached to the strings of the highest notes so that they keep oscillating when releasing the corresponding keys.

Here is a website with nice photos that show the missing dampers in the upper 1.5 octaves of a grand piano.

Hello all,

you are so right! Many thanks for the tip!

The best experience is on real instruments :smiley:

Thanks for the support!