Problems with Tuplets and Voices

I’m having a heck of a time with what should be a simple piano bar. I’m trying to copy a simple figure in triplets in 2 voices. Actually the figure should repeat twice in the same bar, and then continue repeating over several bars. I thought that once I had the figure correctly (2nd half of bar 20) I could just copy that into the 1st half of the bar (now a 1/2 rest) and then into subsequent bars…no such luck. In Bar 21, there is a triplet with 3 1/4 rests, I don’t know why. As you see in the attachment, somehow that triplet is connected to the 2nd voice triplet in bar 20 (both marked orange when I select the triplet in Bar 21). When I erase everything in Bar 21, it destroys the triplet in Bar 20 and erases the last note of the triplet. I tried adding an empty bar after Bar 21, but Dorico puts in after Bar 21…it somehow assumes that the 2 triplets are connected, no idea why. What am I doing wrong? Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 14.00.58

With the tuplet(s) selected as in the attachment, what happens if you set the Spans Barline property?
My suspicion is that you inadvertently entered a tuplet with a longer underlying note value than you intended, and Dorico has done a wonderful job of representing it as two tuplets either side of the barline.

Thank you for the quick reply. I tried different settings with the various “Spans barlines” properties buttons, but the tuplets always remain connected. This whole thing with entering notes to different voices I find quite frustrating, but for the moment I found a solution. I tried erasing the lower stave tuplets to reenter the notes…the caret goes to the upper stave, where I choose V2 with the v key. Once the notes are entered there in the 2nd voice, I mark them and hit m, and they go to the lower. I could swear I tried this before, and it didn’t work. But now it did work so…(deep breath). This stuff with different voices and staves takes a lot of time and patience to get a handle on!

I wouldn’t expect the “spans barline” property to disconnect a tuplet; I was hoping that it would make clear that you were dealing with a single tuplet that had been split across a barline (though I’m slightly puzzled as to what the note value for that tuplet would be).

On a side note, did this start as MusicXML or Midi? If so, you should create a new piano instrument and copy and paste all the material to it - you’ve got something funny going on with voices. From the absence of rests in the top staff of your latest screenshot, I suspect that through a dodgy import you’re in a situation where everything’s attached to a single staff. This is probably causing some of the problems.

I’m a little puzzled why the LH tied dotted quarters are not straight quarters without the triplet marking, but that’s just my own preference/assumption, and the OP can of course do whatever is desired.

Yes, that’s the next thing I’m going to change. Dorico just made them like that, don’t know why either.

If you created them within Dorico, then you need to know that the tuplet popover is sticky. If you start entering tuplets you will continue entering tuplets until you type Shift-; to turn tuplets off. (Some people move the caret right then immediately left with the arrow keys, which achieves the same result).

1 Like

Actually, the original score was an imported XML, but I had grievous problems with it, like not being able to enter notes on the lower stave or separate voices. I copied all the notes into a new player, so that shouldn’t be the issue anymore. I think most of these problems arise because I made the XML in Cubase, and it all came into Dorico as one voice. When separating the notes into different voices, Dorico gets very confused about which notes belong to the triplets and which don’t. I probably have to determine all the voices already in Cubase, but it’s much more cumbersome than in Dorico. And does voice separation made in Cubase translate over the XML into Dorico? I don’t even know.

I don’t know Cubase at all, but I do know that you’ll get better results if you sort out Polyphonic Voicing in Cubase before you export the MusicXML to Dorico.

1 Like

Hi, all!
I have a different question, but it fits in this thread, I think.

I’m working on a vocal arrangement, and have entered tuplets in different voices, but I don’t like how it looks. (See attached image).
Changing the placement of the down stem voice’s tuplet to Below certainly helps, but I think I’d like there to be only one bracket that applies to both voices. Is this possible?

If you need tuplets in two voices, Dorico will always create two tuplets. You could select one of them and turn off its bracket and number in the properties panel, though.

Hey, that works great!
You’re a legend, thanks!
And thanks for all the help you’re giving people both in this forum and on Facebook. I’m not sure if it’s appreciated enough, but it’s very kind of you!

1 Like