Process Tempo

Process Tempo allows you to define a specific length or end time for a set range, and the tempo track will automatically set a tempo that will fit the range in the specified time.

I’m having a trouble understanding it, correct me where I’m going wrong.

I have selected bar 5 to 6 and I want tempo to be as if it was like 5 bars. So I’m Process Tempo and under new range – length I put in 5 the selected bar play in tempo as if it was like 5 bars. ---- I got this one I think am I right ?
But I’m lost understanding the below thing.

1. Now I have selected bar 5 to 7, under new range –select end time as 10
    I see selected bar play in some tempo I cant interpret can you explain

2. And with time display format selected as seconds — can you explain with an example.

I’ve gone through manual / youtube, please if you can clarify.
Thanks so much for helping.

Hi,

I’m not sure, if I understand your use case completely. So I will repeat the way, how I understand it, OK?

• Original tempo = 120 BPM

• Open Process Tempo Dialog.

• Time Display Format, set to Bars+Beats.

• Process Range Start = 5.1.1.0 PPQ

• Process Range End = 6.1.1.0 PPQ (i.e. 1 bar is “selected” for processing)

• New Range Length = 5.0.0.0

• Click Process.
    => New tempo in the 5.1.1.0-6.1.1.0 range is: 24 BPM

• Undo

• Process Range End = 7.1.1.0 PPQ (i.e. 1 bar is “selected” for processing)

• New Range End = 10.1.1.0

• Click Process.
    => New tempo in the 5.1.1.0-7.1.1.0 range is: 48 BPM

• If you place your cursor to the bar 7.1.1.0 now, you will see Time (as Timecode): 0:00:18:000.

• Undo

• The cursor jumps to the bar 10.1.1.0, and the Time (as Timecode) is: 0:00:18:000.

=> You asked Cubase: change the tempo in range 5-7 bars so, that the new endwill be at the same Time position, as it was bar 10 before the change.

Is it clear?

Thanks for the answer Martin, but I have some questions still as I’m playing with it.
With your xplanation
Original tempo = 120 BPM

• Click Process.
    => New tempo in the 5.1.1.0-6.1.1.0 range is: 24 BPM – ----------so basically 120 bpm gets divided among the 5 bars within the specified Process start and end range

But instead of New Range Length = 5.0.0.0 if I enter 10.0.0.0 it still says 24 bpm, why? Shouldn’t 120 bpm gets divided among the 10 bars this time.

and what these options are in the tempo track screen shot.

Thanks
Capture.PNG

I have to check the first scenario.

This drop-down menu (you made a screenshot) is a Snap Type (or a Grid Size). If you will draw a tempo changes via Pencil, this will define, how often will be new event created. Same as other grids in other editors.

thanks again Martin,
i got that snap thing. i see what it does if i select 2 or 2t or 2. and draw. But what does the t or . mean ?

question 2.
Time Display Format, set to seconds -----process bar 5 .1.1.0 to 6.1.0.0 for 10sec instead of 2 sec its actual value
so as i enter value as 0.02.08.00 it processes something different so i change it again second time and then it processes correctly. at times the projected range bar 5 .1.1.0 to 6.1.1.0 gets changed.
it works on second try but not on the first go ---------can anyone confirm.

question 3.
Original tempo = 120 BPM

• Click Process.
    => New tempo in the 5.1.1.0-6.1.1.0 range is: 24 BPM – ----------so basically 120 bpm gets divided among the 5 bars within the specified Process start and end range

But instead of New Range Length = 5.0.0.0 if I enter 10.0.0.0 it still says 24 bpm, why? Shouldn’t 120 bpm gets divided among the 10 bars this time…

question 4.

Time Display Format, set to seconds -----process bar 5 .1.1 to 6.1.0.0 for 1hr instead of 2 sec its actual value

so as i enter value as 1.0.08.00 it processes something different so i change it again second time still no good. at times the projected range bar 5 .1.1.0 to 6.1.1.0 gets changed. I cant get that bar processed for an hour. Any help here.

Basically I’m playing around and understand it so please don’t mind my weird scenarios.
Thanks.

Hi,

“T” means “triplets”.

Sorry, I’m not in the office today, so I cannot your other questions/scenarios.

Hi Sasha,
it is a bit pointless to try to stretch one bar for an hour and expecting any serious results but I understand what you tried to do for test purposes.
In my opinion this is a bug since usually you can go as low as 1 BPM but it seems that the Process Tempo Dialog can only go as low as 24 BPM. If this is the minimum we should know about it, if it is a bug it should be reported and fixed.
Answering the other question “.” this is the symbol dotted notes and this “T” for triplets.
Cheers!

say your sample is one bar long… I would create a loop point from 1 - 5 and then I click process, time stretch and click stretch to bar… that is it. no tempo needs entered, nothing.