'Processing overload' when re-opening project

Does anyone have any ideas why sometimes when I re-open a project maybe a day or two after creating it, my processing meter maxes out and audio gets the stutters?

It’s happened in both 48 and 96khz now.

Nothing has been altered between sessions. Slowly deleting files and plug-ins eventually relieves the processing load but this shouldn’t happen at all if it was ok when I first created the project.

Thanks in advance!

I’ve had a similar issue as sometimes a particular project won’t load unless I increase buffer size which also causes asioguard to turn off automatically. Once I get it to load I’m able to bring the buffer back down and it seems alright. Next time I try to open the project I have to repeat the whole process. Still trying to figure out but prefer to spend the time actually working rather than troubleshooting. Could be related to your problem.

I hear ya Smartinuf, though sometimes I’ve just got to stop and sort these ‘issues’ out. My work around is just creating a clone project copy and deleting the older tracks… not ideal.

My buffer is set to maximum so no room to move there.

Anyone else have this experience?

Could it have something to do with this “known issue” of 8.0.10?

“BON-2926 Opening then closing a project and re-opening the same project directly afterwards consumes large amount of memory and may render the application unreliable. There is currently no workaround but to load another project after closing the project for the first time.”

https://goo.gl/vVr82B

I’m pretty sure I only updated recently and this was happening before hand, but yeah that sounds like a likely case cheers pumafred. Lets hope the next update smooths this and other issues out.

I am just starting Groove Agent SE4… this is the only VST that I have open, no effects or anything.
I am getting upper limit spikes…
I have a 5ghz, 24gb memory, 2 solid state drives (one for library), Windows 7, PC… CB8…

I believe it has something to do with update 8.0.1
I don’t believe that I had this issue when I used CB8 before that last update…

there should be no reason that I am having resource limit peaks…

This might be the MAJOR SOLUTION…
PLEASE TRY THIS AND RESPOND BACK…

Disable the “Activate Multi-Processing” in the VST Audio System tab of Device Setup of Cubase 8…

I found this out because… when I deactivated the multi-core function as an experiment in Kontakt while using Cubase 8 and then tried to reactivate it when it didn’t make my system more stable, I got a message like…
“using multi core in Kontakt and the host system could make everything unstable”

needless to say, as of this moment, things are NOT overloading my Cubase anymore and I have a much better system for VST’s…

Again, let us know how this works…
also if it works for you copy this message and post it everywhere you can…

QUICK UpDAte…
I am still having the same problem…
I might just stop purchasing Cubase if this doesn’t get resolved…
its almost as if 64bit architecture that I am “suppose” to be using is only 8bit at the most…
I mean… I have a new super computer, 2 new SSD’s, most recent Cubase and I can’t even use the crap…I am starting to hate Cubase…

Not for me unfortunately KingHuru, turning off ‘Multi-Processing’ just makes everything glitchy. The best thing I’ve found is having everything off (Asio Guard, Audio Power Scheme, Audio Priority Normal), except for Multi-Processing…

I just set up a side-chain which Cubase didn’t seem to like and ever since has been back to ‘Processing Overload’ again… aah Steinberg, I’m tryng to work!

Anyone else experiencing this??

Still happening here.

Not happening to me anymore since I took notice of a “known issue” of 8.0.10:

“BON-2926 Opening then closing a project and re-opening the same project directly afterwards consumes large amount of memory and may render the application unreliable. There is currently no workaround but to load another project after closing the project for the first time.”

I created a very small fake project to open and close, between opening and closing my main project.

Yeah not sure if this makes much difference for me pumafred. The Steinberg ‘workaround’ seems a little vague to me anyway, I’ve tried:

1. Opening/closing project > opening/closing fake project > opening original project
  2. Or do you do this just once after the initial project is created?

I do 1.

I am not in the habit of opening and closing the same project all the time, so perhaps I am not the ideal tester. But when I do close the project for some reason, before opening it again I am trying to make sure I first open and close the fake one.

You are right, though, that I may be misinterpreting Steinberg, because they say to do this “after closing the project for the first time”, not EVERY time.

I’d say if it’s working for you then you’re onto a good thing there pumafred :slight_smile: