Professional Audio Editing

Please music friends, I need your help. What is the best way to learn all the audio editing features in cubase 7/7.5?
Any website, youtube video, blog, tutorial…
I mean professional editing techniques explained in a DIRECT way.
Thanks a lot
F

Like in the manual?

Might find the Steinberg channel on youtube will help, might even be able to access them through the Steinberg Hub. IIRC, they have “getting started” vids, ones that are more detailed, and others.

May also help to buy Mike Senior’s “Mixing for the Small Studio”, the title might not be exactly reproduced.

Aloha f,

Since you used the word ‘professional’
be prepared to spend some real time learning/applying this aspect of the art.
Like learning to perform on a musical instrument, this might take awhile.

But like any learning, when the ‘ship hits the sand’ do not get discouraged.

Keep going and Good Luck!
{‘-’}

Yes, you could start with Steinberg’s YouTube channel:

But it’s true that there are far better tutorials out there (Steinberg typically use their tutorials just to brag how great Cubase is and don’t really care much for newbies or have much patience in general…), but obviously they aren’t free, although usually you do get some free introductory lessons. Examples:

http://www.lynda.com/Audio-Digital-Audio-Workstations-DAWs-tutorials/Up-Running-Cubase-7/119000-2.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Search-Aud-Cubase-XCT&utm_content=50537977386&utm_term=cubase%20tutorials&gclid=CjwKEAjwg_afBRD3rpChlqiKt1ESJACwY6Nk22gN8DeCRW0i4CGw3Vci7bZAjv7NzM7n0xkcSkaARRoC5eTw_wcB

Also don’t forget that there are a lot of free third-party tutorials on YouTube, although the quality is far from consistent and it will take you some time before you can find those worthy of your time.

The best way to learn, however, is still to intern with a professional composer or studio.

Open the manual and in Cubase along with the Key Commands - the rest is up to you.

Editing is such a loose term and approaches and techniques will differ from person to person. Cubase just has a huge list of tools at your disposal, but applying them takes lots of experience as to when and how to use them.

I think if I were to suggest learning it quickly, I would suggest making a cheat sheet of the manual with terms and shorter description you understand of the different functions in the editor window and such. That way you have a quick reference that you wrote. At least for me, taking notes is way more effective than having a pre-prepared card by someone else.

But then approaching editing by just looking at your tools is backwards. You don’t typically look at a saw, hammer, and nails and wonder what you could build. It is endless. You have a goal in mind, a box, a bridge, a seasaw, and you apply the tools to make that goal happen. Exceptions being a really cool tool that inspires you in some way, but save that for later.

So start with what you are trying achieve. Then search for that. More often than not, someone has done it. If you can’t find a tutorial, or info by searching, then ask here.

I do more rock/metal production with live instruments and pre-production with programmed drums. So the techniques I use the most are: splitting, joining, crossfading, track version, take layer editing, musical mode tempo changes, slip editing for drums, vocal tuning, the arranger track (huge for me), drum quantizing, midi quantizing, time stretching, among a whole lot more.

It might also be good to get a tutorial series from like AskNet or something. Sometimes that can help put the techniques into context and approaches some problems in a way that is smarter than your own.

Most importantly, how familiar are you with audio editing principles in general? Forget about the product for a second.

Hi friends, thanks for your time, really appreciate!

I think the best way would be one intern with a professional studio for sure, but is not easy to find one that uses cubase where i live.
A professional edition will do the biggest difference for me now.
All the youtube videos, cubase manual, blogs didn’t gave me everything i need.
I like to record live bands in studio without click, so you can imagine the importance of editing…
If some one have any more advice will be very welcome!
All the best
F

I agree with C.LYDE101
__

Forget about the product for a second.

Don’t let that stop you.
IMHO learning the basics and then growing from there; does not matter much what app you use.

Many of the basics harken to back-n-da-day when we would physically cut/spice 2 inch tape.
Some of those early techniques can still be applied today.

flaviusr, IMHO it’s like learning to drive a car. Once you have the basics down, you can drive just about any car.
Just take your time and enjoy the learning process.

Reason:
there will be plenty of time later to ‘pull out yer hair’, and yell at the top of your lungs:
‘dis sh!t ain’t working’! Arrrg!!! And then you figure it out. Yay!

Good Luck! :slight_smile:
{‘-’}

if you want to drag a piece of audio from one track to another without losing your position on the time line , highlight the piece of audio, then hold Ctrl and drag to the new lane ,you won`t lose your position even if snap is activated . that is a useful one to know for editing . peace

another worth knowing is - if you want multiple copies of a piece of audio ,hover the mouse to the bottom right hand corner of the audio, while holding the Alt key the mouse will change to a pencil tool ,while the mouse is changed to the pencil tool drag to the right for multiple copies and release the mouse first . more peace.

Ok, I found this as a good start for who are recording without click: Multi-track Tempo Correction for Live Drums in Cubase 6 - YouTube

Thanks again for your generosity!

F

Just out of curiousity. Why not record to a click track?

Because then you lose the feel, man!

You know, the feel that you need to correct with professional audio editing.

:mrgreen:

That’s it! haha.
Many performers don’t like click, they want to be free to play with time.
For bands they can build climax not only with volume and texture but with tempo too.
What i mean by professional editing is to have the technique to apply some small corrections without loose the aesthetic and performance feeling.
all the best

F

Hey Flav - that is the magic of Cubase, you can build your click track to match your band’s playing, and then even stretch it all out to different tempos and everything stays in sync, like fantastic plastic elastic audio, yes!

It’s in the manual about tempo detect, Time Warp, Set Definition from Tempo. Some of the links in my sig I think can maybe get you started too.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, it’s magic! I know …

HA HA! You nailed it!

Sad to say, but I’ve never been able to figure this stuff out. My playing isn’t as precise as I’d like it to be, i.e. I’d prefer to stick to the click track or drum line (using Jamstix) and yet there are notes that are off by 1/32nd of a note. I typically fire up Melodyne since it’s incredibly easy to see where the timing errors are and correct them. But it’s a cumbersome process.

The thought I’ve always had was to set hit points, create slices, then manually move those slices around. But with instruments that have sharp attacks (the way I play bass, for example), I get a lot of false hit points. So I spend more time just deleting the false hit points than I would if I had just fired up Melodyne in the first place.

Is there an easier way?

This reminds me I really should try the “new and improved” hit point detection in Cubase 7.5.20 . I tried it in 6.5 and abandoned it, maybe too soon, but it just didn’t seem to help enough.

On the other hand, the Tap Tempo, Time Warp, Set Definition stuff seems to work about the same in 7.5.20, fairly straight-forward (though it took me forever to figure out how to get it going, a big part of it was to put the other tracks in Linear Time Base, iirc). Not saying it isn’t tedious!

I agree w/ what someone wrote around here not too long ago, it’s always a balance between “still too sloppy” (too few Time Warp points) and “all the life got sucked out of this” (Time Warp points every beat, or more often!). I guess it depends on the style of music too, i.e., intentionally tempo-varied vs. rigid EDM-type stuff.