Project Crashed and now will not load vsts

I’ve been working on an important project and Dorico just crashed. I can reopen, but the project has the blue audio activated light thing turned off. Manually turning it on does nothing, and the transport buttons are all still greyed out. I have tried restarting my computer, and no luck. Opening a small project loads the vst’s fine.

This project is using only Kontakt and Noteperformer. Thanks.

1 Like

This is killing me. Is there a way to force dorico to load with a blank playback template and I can rebuild the vsts? If I try and add or remove VSTs or switch playback templates Dorico is just freezing.

Load a new empty project, then import your dodgy project flows ?

Thanks. I’ll try that later. I finally managed to get this one open after repeated shutting down and restarting. So I just have to get back to work and I’ll deal with it later.

And can you please do from Dorico’s menu Help > Create Diagnostics Report and attach the correpsonding zip file here? Thanks a lot
From the contained crash dumps I want to see what brings down Dorico’s audio engine.

Edit: And I can remove the audio engine part from your project, so that it does load again but without any VSTs. If you want me to do that, please send the project to u dot stoermer at steinberg dot de.

If Dorico crashes, very often this will mean that the audio engine is left running. When Dorico then restarts, although it can in theory reconnect to the audio engine that is already running, in practice I find this normally results in no audio. If you encounter this kind of problem, you should quit Dorico, then in Activity Monitor (macOS) or Process Explorer (Windows, which you can download here), find and manually exit the VST Audio Engine process. In extreme cases it may also be necessary to quit the Steinberg License Engine process.

Then wait a few seconds, and run Dorico again: everything should then be working fine.

I would also be very interested to see the diagnostic report that Ulf has suggested you post here, since I’d like to see why Dorico crashed.

I’ll be happy to share the diagnostic report. Maybe it’s conflicting with something else on my system or something. I often come back to work and find Cubase has frozen and have to force quit that, but I think I’ve tracked that down to having different sample rates in Cubase than dorico. Now that I make sure sample rates are the same, that seemed better. It’s rare that I’ve had issues with Dorico though, so I haven’t been able to track it down.

I do know about the VST Audio Engine thing, and indeed I was also closing that process, but still had to shut down completely. I’ll send the report as I’m really curious what it’ll say. Thank you!

Here is the diagnostic report. It’s crashed a few more times tonight, so hopefully we can see what’s going on. Thanks!

…well never mind. The diagnostic report is 4.3 meg and the forum says it can only upload 4 MB max.

Ulf-I will email the report to your attached email

My project is back to crashing again. :frowning: I got the VSTs loaded a minute ago, but the video that is attached to the flow wouldn’t play any audio. I tried to reclose and reopen and now once again none of the VSTs will load. Clicking the blue audio engine light just makes the spinning beachball and the project freezes up.

Please email the diagnostics to me, since Ulf is away at the moment and probably won’t have time to look at the reports right away. My email address is d dot spreadbury at steinberg dot de.