project won't open in 6.5.1

Hi, has anyone any experience with a project that…after weeks of work suddenly decides not to open, for no particular reason ?..didn’t do anything weird with it but now it will not open,…cheers, Kevin

What happens when you try it?

Hi,it does the usual opening thing and looks like it will load but then just stops…then Cubase is frozen and I have to force the computer off…cheers, Kevin

Try moving all the VSTi dll’s away and load the project again, to see if it’s one of the plugins that’s causing it to crash. If it loads, place them back one by one to find out which one.

you mean remove them from the Cubase VST folder ?..every time I try and do something like this on a comp I usually end up with more probs…if the project has been opening and closing no problem previously is it likely that a VST would suddenly cause a problem ?..cheers, Kevin

Do you have any backup versions of the project? Try to load one of those, might be less work…

can you believe this idiot did not back up the project…just forgot.

No auto save either? It’s those .bak files in the project folder…

if the project has been opening and closing no problem previously is it likely that a VST would suddenly cause a problem ?..cheers, Kevin

Yes…had this happen many times.
Just rename the vstplugins folder (add xx) and try to open. If it works then it is definitely a plug that has crashed & you will need to do the moving & replacing of dll’s a batch at a time to track down which is the problem.
I find easiest way is to move the whole vstplugins folder to desktop, create an empty vstplugins folder where you copied it from (check spelling is correct) and then start moving some in…I do it alphabetically so perhaps copy in “a” thru “m” and then try opening cubase & project. If it works close Cubase and add some more, if not then move half of them out again & try opening again.

Ok guys…doing this stuff scares the living daylights out of me, so I think it will be easier for me to just re do the whole project from scratch, I’ve only just got my rig up and running after sorting out 2/3 second audio dropouts so am reluctant to start again…so I’m gonna delete the whole project…thanks for your input but I’m a wus when it comes to computers…cheers, Kevin