pronunciation

I get that “Dorico” is pronounced with an accent on the first syllable.

But is it DO ri co or DOR i co? The original Italian would use the former whereas native English speakers would incline towards the latter.

Asking this another way, how do you, Daniel, pronounce it?

If you type it into Google Translate and click Italian, you will hear it with an elongated first syllable DO-O and a little flip on the “r.” I don’t think you are pronouncing it that way. Then click on English and you get an American pronunciation that is very different. I bet you aren’t saying it that way either.

I guess I pronounce it closer to DOR-ee-co than DO-ree-co.

It is italian so Do - ri - co would be correct.

But the important thing is that you get the correct product when doing your phone-order :wink:

2 Likes

Dorico

I say Do-RI-Co. Diversity is a good thing. And in Australia, Dorito corn chips are Do-RI-tos.

I am reminded of people trying to enforce pronunciation in UNIX, to no avail. Bill Joy insisted that the editor vi (short for visual) had to be pronounced V-I, but everybody just says VI. You can’t win at this! :slight_smile:

Please don’t say Do-RI-co. That’s definitely not the right way to pronounce it!

4 Likes

Doric-oh

Please restore my faith in humanity by telling me that, at least, there are not more than two pronunciations of UNIX battling for supremacy. Right? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

1 Like

I remember that the initial announcements of the product name told us that it was pronounced DO-ri-co. But as soon as we started to get promotional and tutorial videos from the team, we could hear that they were saying DOR-i-co. Which is what I was already saying, so I started to feel better about that.

Either way, Do-RI-co is definitely wrong.

Well, I opened this DOOR in 2016 and here it is creaking open again in 2024. I suppose it’s an interesting question as we are all musicians and therefore interested in sound, including the sounds of names. We each also have our own accent and way of pronouncing things. Some time ago I saw a fascinating video by a native Russian speaker about the proper pronunciation of the names of famous Russian composers. I have to admit that I still say “Mussorgsky” with an accent on the second syllable rather than the first. So it is unsurprising that there will be some variation in the pronunciation of “Dorico.” May the world have peace and may we enjoy our idiosyncrasies.

1 Like

Would it be too much to bear if I said that sometimes I refer to Dorico as Δωρικό; It’s lithe, functional, so…

And so it goes that all three syllables can be stressed if one tries hard enough. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

In case someone is interested, here below is how in Italy we pronounce it. Valerio Dorico was born in north Italy (Brescia) but lived in middle Italy (Rome), so I recorded both pronunciations (open vs closed O) (I am from Milan, so maybe my O is veery open :slight_smile: ):

North Italy:

Middle and South Italy:

9 Likes

“Gif” vs “Jif” is another prime example.

2 Likes

“Often” vs “orphan” in Pirates of Penzance (Gilbert & Sullivan) is another.

Fairly harsh on we Australians.

“I’m working on Dorry this arvo.” :grin:

1 Like

It’s pronounced “Throatwobbler Mangrove”.

3 Likes

When in doubt, resolve important controversies with Monty Python. :grinning: :grinning:

1 Like

So glad I found this post which has disabused my subvocalization of the name of this brilliant, powerful, and inspiring tool.

I’m curious to know the story behind the team choosing the product name. If I’d not seen Christian_R’s link, I woulda thunk it to be related to the Solfège syllable do.

Big thanks to James1 for ultimately helping to fix my pronunciation, which was more or less movable, until now.

2 Likes

Rs can be notoriously challenging to sing, even for pEYErats.