Propellerheads internet verification a fine model

Recently upgraded to Reason 6 which ships with a usb dongle and also an internet software verification system. It’s great as I do move between desktop and laptop often which of course means scrambling underneath the table behind my computer to pull out my dongle. I did consider buying another usb dongle to transfer licenses to this for when I wanted to use laptop but I have to say that seeing propellerheads method of authentication in action makes me wish that Steinberg would follow suit. The software runs unobtrusively in the background and when Reason is launched without a dongle a prompt screen asks whether you want to run the program in demo mode or if you would like to connect to the internet to verify your license. It really is as simple as that!
All those who have bought and supported software companies understand the needs of software protection and and Steinberg is one of the few who can say that their protection actually works. I hope that something like this could be implemented so protection (from a user point of view) is one less thing I need to think about when planning projects.

Thoughts and ideas welcome.

How do you then verify the licence?

I mean, how do Propellerheads know you are you and not your mate you’ve given a copy of reason to?

Your licence is tied to your reason account. You log in to verify at the computer you are working at so this means that you can effectively run your registered program on any computer running the demo software.
I know some plugin developers use online verification but I don’t know how successful these protection schemes are/have been. I don’t know the technical details of the software protection they have employed so i don’t know if the protection is truely unhackable but at this moment from a user perspective it’s great!

Below is a link to the developers of codemeter software protection:

http://info.wibusystemsusa.com/blog/bid/143526/Who-says-software-protection-isn-t-possible

The problem for me with online verification hals always been that my DAW PC has never been anywhere near an internet connection.

I dont mind the idea of dongle + the option of internet though.

ps: all that arsey gloating on the codemeter website is making me sick… :confused:

The problem for me with online verification hals always been that my DAW PC has never been anywhere near an internet connection.

I dont mind the idea of dongle + the option of internet though.

ps: all that arsey gloating on the codemeter website is making me sick… > :confused:

Well I have the music pc connected full time and have other plugs from sonalksis and plugin alliance that also use online verification. All runs smoooooooth just got to make sure that there are no programs installed thaty auto update (adobe, automap, other device drivers etc.)

Losing dongles is expensive :blush: and moving dongles between computers is a an inconvenience. The internet solution is non intrusive and saves againsts loss for me at least. Funny codemeter are gloating and make a big fuss the the software integrator companies like propellerheads and others:

do’nt make such a fuss. in fact I haven’t found any official statement regarding a change in software protection just a small mention in a FAQ. SOS didn’t even mention it in the Reason 6 review.

General SOS info on dongles:

+1
{‘-’}