Proper Dorico Technique

Tx Janus, yes that does make sense.

Yes Dan, I got that sense when I was reviewing the software and why I switched over. Prior to retiring I did (tried to do) information management for the Feds in Canada, Environment Canada - Enforcement actually. Also the reason I retired. Why evolve when you can stay safe and status quo.
Workflow was what I was trying to implement so understand Dorico’s approach. It’s a very powerful functionality.

Thanks Romanos. Yes, I just want it to look like that image, nice and neat and concise. I understand getting there, the journey is worth the price.

Hmmmm, thanks Fred. I never considered audio exporting may play a role.
I will be shooting it out as a PDF to add to my PowerMusic Pro sheet music reading software, but I will want an mp3 for each key. Very important for working on intonation.

Interesting conversation, but Master Page Flow header talk as sexy as it is is a bit out of my current level of knowledge. It actually all sounds similar to web and SharePoint design. Hmm.

Are you referring to a concept similar to parent-child relationships?

Excellent

Also excellent.
I never thought my little exercise would spark such debate but through this I am picking up a lot!!!

This speaks to my suggestion that you will learn a lot by working through the process. It really is not that complex (and I’m a 60+ learner).

For your specific project, just work your way through this tutorial: https://blog.dorico.com/2021/03/tutorial-creating-a-scales-worksheet-in-dorico/

All will become clear!!

I think I’d rather keep calling it a Coda than start dealing with something called a flowette. :grimacing:

2 Likes

Aye. I am a 60+ learner as well. It’s tough at the top eh? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
Thanks for the link!! BTW, is this link part of a Dorico tutorial series?

How about “Flowda”? ?? Eh? That’s a good one. :smiley:

1 Like

It’s an official Dorico tutorial (of which there are many: https://blog.dorico.com/tutorials/)

1 Like

Sorry, I’m getting lost in the conversation. Are you saying these are bad? I actually need to restart bars numbers and rehearsal marks for different movements or different exercises. Example, 60 Kopprasch exercises need to be separated.

No, this all happens automatically if you use separate flows.

1 Like

This seems like one of those cases where it’s worth trying it both ways, if you have time and the interest. Might learn something for the next project.

Ohhhhhhh. Gotcha!!! Perfect.

As you obviously already know, restart bar numbers exists at right click/Bar numbers.
Restart rehearsal marks is Properties/Rehearsal Marks/Index.
Continue previous dynamic is automatic.
Completely agree cancellation time signature should be as easy as cancellation key signature.

None of the above results in a new or bumped thread every few weeks as someone tries to figure out how to hide a cautionary key sig, which is unnecessarily (IMO) way more involved than most of the above. I completely understand that hiding a cautionary key sig is generally unnecessary in printed music which is why the lack of this option is totally comprehendible in 1.0, but it is very common in education exercises and etudes which is why it really should be easier to accomplish in 4.0.

Because flows are tied to audio export, there are situations where using flows makes sense, and situations where hiding a key sig makes sense. I would typically assume my students (mostly masters level) would be running through all 12 keys of an exercise, so I would default to hiding a key sig. The OP has said he would want to export each key individually so using a separate flow probably makes the most sense for him. In any case exporting audio is the least flexible element in Dorico, so I always consider it when I’m deciding how to structure a project.

1 Like

My point is that you’re suggesting a sticking plaster that applies specifically to runs of exercises, but doesn’t cover situations like the sets of variations that are being discussed in parallel on a different thread.

There are situations where one chunk of music needs to continue the existing bar numbers, rehearsal marks or dynamic without displaying a new key signature or time signature. Resetting bar numbers/rehearsal marks is the default at the start of a new flow; indeed there is no automated way to “continue primary” at a new flow.

It doesn’t feel very Dorico (to me) to implement a single tickbox that handles one use case only.

2 Likes

Good point. I invariably do end up doing things the hardest way.