Protools automation feature in Cubase?

I use the Line Tool: To drag a horizontal line in area in question (I normally do that first move in a large step up/down).

This will make 4 nodes > flip back to select tool > drag line up/down to taste

I have made a macro (need that to get the Line Tool) and a Key Command to select the Line Tool (macro) and a second KC for the Selection Tool.
I have placed these KCs next to each other on the keyboard = Very fast > One hit for the line tool > drag > one hit for selection tool > select** > adjust up/down.

**Edited in, to the original description.

PS. I “rest” my middle and ring finger on those two keys/KCs for very fast selection between them
Another tip is to enlarge your automation track a bit, so that it easy to draw that horizontal line totally straight :wink:

I have that full macro/script also, but I have found that sometimes the script part of it don’t work. After some updates I have had to link the macro and the script again.
I can’t repeat that missing script, so I have no clue of why that some times happens.

interesting! are you saying that you created that script or macro, but can’t replicate it? would be really great to get the details to see if i can get it to work. i need it so often in mixing…

Sorry I wasn’t exactly clear.

The missing link between the macro and the script are sometimes happening. It seems to come out of the blue is what I ment. That I can’t “provoce” it to happen (as in a non-repeatable scenario).

It work very well for the most part, but I have found the Line Tool method, as described in my last post, are just as fast :wink:

Also try this: Square automation tool with the Shift modifier. With a little practice this is very fast and efficient.

thanks Bacizone! that works the best so far. really fast! this belongs on a site where they gather Cubase tricks and tips!

+1

Using the line tool is great !

Althought there is no way (like holding shift) to force the line to be drawed horizontaly ?

You can also use Trim Loop mode in conjunction with the pencil tool if you prefer not to do it by moving the fader. Works very nicely and this can also done even if the track is not playing (but obviously you have to be in Write mode).

I think I have tried every possible modifier key/key combos, but not found anything to force a horizontal line.

That’s why I like to enlarge the automation track to BIG, and also to “exaggerate” the first “draw” (want 3 dB, draws 10). Then adjust with the selection tool.

PS. After all this nagging and wishes for years, I can’t understand why Steinberg hasn’t implemented it yet.
One of the most important, and BASIC tools in PT. So simple, but SO valuable. In 2016 there should not be necesarry to ask/beg for this one.

Can you think of a more used/useful automation tool? I can’t :confused:

try the square tool! it solves the straight line problem:

Square automation tool with the Shift modifier. With a little practice this is very fast and efficient.

i tried this but could get it to work. the fader move created a normal curve in play. in stop mode nothing is adjusted. could you specify the detailed steps again please.
thanks

Sorry, I shouldn’t have written Trim Loop. I meant Fill Loop.

1. Set the locators around the area you wish to adjust
  2. Open the Automation Panel and enable Fill Loop (The button that says ‘Loop’, on the left hand side)
  3. Enable Write mode
  4. Play the track and adjust your fader (you should have the cursor within your cycle range, otherwise you will write automation in the wrong part of the track)

Instead of using the fader, you can also use the pencil tool to write an automation value, which will be ‘filled’ to the whole of your cycle range. Using the pencil method, it is possible to write the automation without the track playing but with the fader method, you must play the track.

I have a macro set up so that when I click W, Write mode is enabled for all tracks and the Automation panel opens as well. It speeds things up nicely, combined with key commands for the various Fill/Trim modes.

Yep, the Square Tool + shift also do the trick.

Thanks guys for this tip.

One thing though, using the Square Tool + shift, Snap has to be off.

+1000

HERE IS THE THING !!

“One thing though, using the Square Tool + shift, Snap has to be off.”

Working great ! THANKS !!
And i can add : press shift before clicking to be sure to get a straight line

Another trick i found is :
using regular Line Tool and holding Ctrl + Alt > the line lock to the angle and can be mooved up and down and/or mooved around

Also this is the reason why i get on this topic >

when selecting (at least) 2 point and using the new (to me coming from C5) and VERY useful “Scale” function / tool
It doesn’t work when my points are a level 0 (i cannot bring them up)
it look like a bug innit ?

So the Square line tool + shift + Snap off is a good workaround in some ways

Do some of you guys made a macro for it ?

for a lot of automation adjustments i find my self to select one point or a range and wanting to adjust by 1 or a few dB (or increments) quickly without having to

• zoom at max on the track,
  • then snap on / hold Ctrl to make sure i doesn’t moove the points timewise (horizontal)

is there a way to do with mousewheel or arrows like with faders ?

thanks

What kind of sorcery is this ‘Square Automation Tool’ you speak of please…? I’ve looked everywhere; can’t see/find it… :confused:

EDIT:- I found it… you mean the ‘Square’ Line Tool (under Line, Parabola, Sine, Triangle etc), yes…?

OK, but I’m unsure of how this is 'fast and efficient…, I mean, you still have to then swap back to the object selection tool, draw a box around two of the points created, and only then can you grab the top of the area box to adjust that portion of the volume automation line, up or down.

Hmmm… am I wrong…?

Thanks for all the ideas, (macros and PLE scripts etc) but its still all a bit inelegant for me (compared to PTools or as in the new v3.2 edition of Studio One and their ‘Smart Tool’…)

Just saying… (hope Steinberg are listening…?)

That’s why I (from my earlier post in this thread):

I have made a macro (need that to get the Line Tool) and a Key Command to select the Line Tool (macro) and a second KC for the Selection Tool.
I have placed these KCs next to each other on the keyboard = Very fast > One hit for the line tool > drag > one hit for selection tool > select > adjust up/down.

PS. I “rest” my middle and ring finger on those two keys/KCs for very fast selection between them.

Even Harisson Mixbus has this feature built in.
No need for half-baked hacks, SHIFT-TripleClick-PLE-CTRL-LOOKTOTHEEAST-SPINAROUNDTHREE-TIMES-MACRO-ALT-F12 or any sort of finger acrobatics.

Let’s see, ProTools, MixBus, Studio One, Reaper, FL Studio have it. And these are only the ones I know about.

Steinberg, I really think it’s time.

+1

+1 more

+100