Protools automation feature in Cubase?

I was at a mix session and the engineer was using protools. I asked him if for a section of the song one the synths could be softer, so he took his range tool, selected the section in time that I wanted softer and then using I think the same tool was able to just drag down the selection -1.5 db and it automatically created the 4 nodes to make this happen. I was stunned at how quick and easy it was for him to do this! Is something like this possible in Cubase? I’ve searched the forums and watched videos on youtube and thus far come up empty.

edit: after more searching I found a thread that addresses this exact issue even with a .gif showing what I’m talking about! Steinberg Forums

Gif = Steinberg Forums

Can this hopefully be done now in Cubase 8? If not, can someone suggest me a quick working method? Maybe there is some way to create a macro that creates 2 nodes around the L & R edges of a range selection, and another that will raise or lower 2 of nodes by .5db to make the end point like the .gif above? If someone could help me brainstorm this it would be much appreciated. Thanks!!

range automation like ProTools:
That’s where my Macro (including the script) comes in:
Select range with Range Tool (in the volume automation lane), fire off macro, turn up or down (trim).

Here is the macro step by step:

edit - copy
edit - paste
transport - locate selection
transport - nudge +1 frame
edit - left selection side to cursor
transport - locate selection end
transport - nudge +1 frame
edit - right selection side to cursor
edit - copy
edit - paste
transport - locators to selection
tool - select tool
process project logical editor - “Your script” (see below)

–the PLE script:
media type equals automation
position inside cycle PPQ
//
function - select

Just make sure your PLE script is correct.

This WILL make two point at either selection border (and select the inner ones). They are just a frame apart, so you have to zoom in a bit to see them both /all (this you have to do just one to trust me :wink:).
The nodes are so big that they “mask” each other in “normal view”.

You are a ROCK STAR!! This works PERFECTLY! Thank you so SO much for sharing this!!! (wish I could give your post 20 thumbs up haha!)

The power of marcos, logical editors, and the ability to trigger these as key commands is really what sets Cubase apart from other DAWS I’ve used! So Awesome!!!

If I am understanding this correctly, can you not use trim loop in the automation panel.

Just set the left and right locators in the arrange page. Get up the automation panel, click the trim tab and select ‘loop’ from the fill column. Activate ‘Write’ on any tracks you want trimmed up or down and move their faders (up or down) as many DBs as you wish.

For this you can use Cubase´s Line Tool,
or the Square Tool (hold STRG+SHIFT)

Arve.furset, you are my hero.

This macro is great. It does have one drawback though… If you have multiple lanes of automation (e.g. volume, aux sends etc.) on the track that you are working on, it will select ALL automation within the cycle range. I’ve been trying to figure out a way to edit the PLE script so that it selects ONLY the automation data on the lane that is selected but haven’t found a way to do this so far. If anyone knows a solution, I’d love to hear it.

There’s no need to worry about it you will only edit the lane you want, if you want to edit all the lanes use Ctrl+mouse.

cubase 8.5 seems to handle this function the right way

Let’s say for example you already have some automation points for Aux send level… if you select a range on the volume automation lane and apply this macro, any aux send automation that falls within your selected range will now also become selected. Therefore, when you adjust the level of your new volume automation in the info line, it will mess-up your aux send automation levels unless you first deselect it (which kind of ruins the point of using a nice quick macro).

What do you mean by that?

Is it the transport - “locate selection start”? I don`t have just “transport - locate selection”.

Yes, Transport - Location Selection Start

I have been requesting this feature for YEARS now. I just wish Steinberg would just implement this so EVERYBODY would benefit from it. …seems simple enough…

nexis

everone CAN benefit from it. Just create the macro…it’s easy

Have you tried it? I did it. So, I selected the same range with the range selection tool on the volume automation lane and on the 3 Aux send automation lanes and used the macro. And Yes all the automation points on all automation lanes (volume and Aux sends) were selected, but I can adjust every single lane separately.

Ok, I see what you mean now. Yes, it works perfectly IF you use the mouse to drag the automation value up and down after hitting the macro.

If you want to hit the macro and then adjust the value numerically in the info line, it will effect all of the automation lanes that have data within the selected range.

So, I’ve got it now. It does have a limitation but It’s a great macro for sure and I’ll definitely be using it. Thanks.

Yes, sure, mouse :slight_smile:

Can anyone help me out on this? I’m having trouble from here to the end…

process project logical editor - “Your script” (see below)

–the PLE script:
media type equals automation
position inside cycle PPQ
//
function - select

Can anyone make a youtube video or something so I can see exactly what you are doing? …or any help would be great.

nexis

a bit of an old post, BUT: i think i discovered a simpler and faster way to achieve what can be done so easily in Protools.

1.choose the track with the volume controller lane open
2.choose “Range selection” tool and mark the area you want to alter the vol curve (area goes light blue)
3.in that highlighted area L-click and drag slightly to the left = 2 new vol points are created
4.do the same again: grab but this time drag to right and another additional set of vol points are created
5.choose “object selection” tool and frame the inner vol points and adjust volume up or down

still not as easy as in protools, but much easier that the macro script and more reliable i think.