PSR S950

Hi everyone,

I am new on this forum and also in Cubase. I just work a few moths with it, and I love it! I have Cubase 6.5 and untill today also I worked with my Yamaha PSR S900 as an external instrument. But today I bought the Yamaha PSR S950 and I wanted to connect it to Cubase. Normally I could find my external instrument in the list of the Midi Device Manager. But the PSR S 950 is not in that list. I think because it is relatively new. My question is: Does anyone know how I can connect my new keyboard to Cubase? I searched the forum but couldn’t find an answer.
Thanks in advance!

This probably isn’t a huge help but just get some basics straight …

You don’t have to connect your keyboard as a MIDI device to use it with Cubase. You can still control it directly on the MIDI track by just selecting the correct MIDI port. The down side is you don’t see the patch names in the and control names. But, you can still control them from the MIDI track, from the CC line.

However, I don’t know if anyone has made a device map for the 950.

Hi JMCecil,

Thanks for your quick reply. I’m not sure if I fully understand what you mean, but I will read it a few times and try it!

When you add a MIDI track, you can select a MIDI input and MIDI output + Channel. That track will control your keyboard. You don’t need to select your keyboard as a MIDI Device.

The MIDI devices are just a convenience. To be honest I think they have become more of a nuisance. But, that’s my opinion.

Indeed, I never bothered setting my MO6 up as external instrument. Setting up the midi IO on a midi track is easy enough for me :slight_smile:

I figured it out and it works,thanks for the replies!