Putting lyrics upside down

I guess this is a strange request. But I need to put the lyrics of a song upside down. Is there a way to rotate the lyrics?

˙oɔᴉɹoᗡ uᴉ sɔᴉɹʎl ɹoɟ ʎʇɹǝdoɹd uoᴉʇɐʇoɹ ou s,ǝɹǝɥʇ 'oN

I’m intrigued by this need…

2 Likes

This may not be what you’re looking for, but you might try using an upside down font, like this:

As can be seen, those converters simply change letters to Unicode glyphs that happen to look a bit upside-down, and won’t necessarily be in the font you’re using. It’s not a great result.

There are actual upside-down fonts, though whether they are suitable for lyrics is another question.

You’ll probably be best off exporting a PDF to a drawing app, outlining the characters and flipping them.

I don’t have much to add in terms of actual advice but I am extremely curious what you would need this for!

1 Like

Haha, i love this.

I’m working on a song that you can sing in canon when you put the sheetmusic upside down.

2 Likes

Creating upside-down music in Dorico is an interesting challenge:

The clef is gClefTurned (U+E074). The custom key signature uses three instances of accidentalFlatTurned (U+E484). The lyrics are text attached to a horizontal line which has been turned upside down in engrave mode.

6 Likes

Thanks, but I find everything rather cumbersome, in Finale it’s simpler with custom shapes.
Roberto, Turin, Italy

Well, I’m happy that Finale is better in writing music upside down. At least there is one thing they are better at. So far I know, it’s the only thing I found so far.

I agree, it is an invitation for Dorico to implement the possibility of creating new forms from scratch.

There’s plenty of text effects in Finale that you have to achieve using the “Smart” Line tool; so if you have to do the same in Dorico, that’s not much different.