QA Wave Rider2: Plug-in sounds like it could be wonderful.

Quiet Arts Wave Rider 2 (might be locked for those without a subscription)

Quiet Arts Wave Rider 2. Unfortunately only available for Pro-Tools Mac currently. Sounds like it is smart enough to save hours of fine tuning level automation time (like for vox). In a comparison with Wave’s “Vocal Rider”, it rocked, per the review.

I’d love to try this on my vox tracks - the price seems reasonable ($129US) - can’t wait for it to be released for Cubase/PC!

Anyone happen to be familiar with it?

Summary is available without subscription, and it does look interesting :slight_smile:

Looks interesting. Is it really that hard to ride a vocal though using your ears? I think if it was, there would be a lot more plugins like this out there.

I don’t think I would ever use a plugin like this because I don’t want to lose my job LOL. :slight_smile:

Hey, even a better topic (but not to hijack the thread) How does everyone set a vocal in the mix currently without using this plug or Waves’ Rider plugin? :nerd:

To me that is a little more interesting, but hey, that’s just me. I’ll get me coat! :mrgreen:

^^ You only mix in mono, twilightsong? And you hire that guy to do your vocal rides?? :mrgreen:

OT: What intrigues me about the writeup on the Quiet Arts WaveRider 2 (op) is the statement that it did a better job than not only the Wave “Vocal Rider” but (per the author) “…it virtually tracked my manual automation — except that it did it better, helping out a bit more in all the right places without me even modifying the default settings…”.

How can something be that good (making what I think is probably a reasonable assumption that the author is probably no slouch)? It sure sounds 2-good-2-B-tru, but he does show some images suggesting he wasn’t just blowing smoke.

Signed -

Skeptical, but still intrigued!

I find this to be even better, as it adjusts levels on the way in. Plus, it’s completely analog.

I find that to need just a 1 or 2 dB cut at about 1 kHz, a little too honky for my taste otherwise.

I saw this post when I was out to dinner with my girlfriend. I couldn’t stop laughing. Then she wanted to know what I was laughing at and had to read her the thread and explain everything.

She didn’t laugh :frowning:

Aloha guys,
The ‘live’ implications do sound quite intriguing.

User reviews
…I’m addicted to Wave Rider… I own three copies. I can’t mix a show without it now!!

{‘-’}

I saw this post when I was out to dinner with my girlfriend. I couldn’t stop laughing. Then she wanted to know what I was laughing at and had to read her the thread and explain everything.

She didn’t laugh > :frowning:

The problem is probably that you shouldn’t be reading the forums while going out to dinner with her. :stuck_out_tongue:

Yeah, I had a feeling you were going to say that. She was on her phone too, checking on a summer festival, playa del fuego.

I have been wanting to do something similar with EQ for a long time but I’m too distracted with other nonsense to write a VSTfx. The thought was that you have a general idea of what distribution you want for the various frequencies so the VST would keep a moving average over 30 points and make adjustments to the frequency buckets (after FFT) so that the moving average stays in the general shape that the user specified.

Update from Quiet Arts (Wave Rider) website:

https://getsatisfaction.com/wave_rider/topics/how_close_are_you_to_windows_support

Windows RTAS/AAX is about to be released. Testing as we speak. This is good news for other platforms on Windows cause we got the driver sorted, which was the drawback.

VST will hopefully follow soon.